Sunday, June 9, 2019

Mimi Camp Has Begun

There might not be another post here until after Mimi Camp. I'll see how time goes. Things stay busy here for this special week. But I'll be sure to share some of the things we will be doing. It might give you some ideas for your own grandkid camp.


Mimi Camp is in full swing. Because I've been away for most of the last month, I've said that this year will be a "freestyle camp." But it's coming together better than I expected. We have lots of room for riding anything with wheels and they would be happy to stay outside most of the day. So there's always that.

There will be camp surprises for them as the week progresses. Our "camp box" tradition will start tomorrow. They get to open a box to see what the day's activity will be. They have already asked about it.  (I need to make a mad dash to the craft store today!) I told them it starts on Monday.


But yesterday when the rains came they moved inside for some Magic School Bus. (After 25 dry days, so we aren't complaining.) See the rocking chairs? Daddy-O dug them out of the barn and cleaned them up for this new generation of little girls. Glad I didn't give them away years ago when our own little girls outgrew them.


Outdoor adventures just before dark are fun at camp. Daddy-O and Baby Girl went on a whang doodle hunt last night. Thankfully they didn't find one! But they did see "a couple of bunnies and some birds." Baby Girl was happy with that.


Sunday breakfast was on the porch. It's still raining outside. And Daddy-O made his famous French toast for the girls. According to them, he is the "king of treats." You're welcome, Mommy.


My own cooking last night was less exciting, but delicious nonetheless. It's the most kid friendly meal I know. I've made this recipe for hundreds of kids over the years. Our own two little ones like it as much as everyone else always did. The oven fries are also easy. And it's a "real food" side, unlike frozen fries which have a longer list of ingredients.

SLOPPY JOES

1-1/2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey (I've also made it with a 1 lb pkg)
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard

Brown meat and drain. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. Spoon over toasted hamburger buns.


If I use ground turkey, which comes in one-pound packages,  I will add some chopped onion when I brown the meat to help bulk it up. It also helps flavor the milder turkey.



OVEN FRIES

4 baking potatoes
1 teaspoon cooking oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Spray baking sheet with PAM. Scrub potatoes, pat dry and slice each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges.
Put potatoes in mixing bowl and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of oil. Toss to coat.
Bake on sheet for 15 minutes. Turn and bake 15 minutes more, or until they begin to brown.

(This time I cut my wedges thinner and they cooked much quicker.  Just go by the color.)

If you ever find one of these wire baking sheets, grab one! I bought this one about 25 years ago at Walmart for $5. Because the hot air comes from the bottom, too, it will brown both sides without turning. Is this like the original air fryer?






2 comments:

  1. Nothing is five dollars at Wal-Mart any more...or at least you have to hunt pretty hard to find it! Love the recipes! I will try them! Love the rocking chairs. We had to give up ancient childhood furniture and other beloved family artifacts when we downsized to an attic-free retirement home. So sad. It's good to get rid of actual junk but some things had a lot of life still in them. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi Camp looks like lots of fun. Enjoy and then when they go home, put your feet up in a too quiet house. (I love to be with my grands but boy am I tired afterwards.)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.