Monday, June 3, 2019

Irish Hospitality

A simple meal, graciously served.  Lamb stew*, potatoes, salad, apples and rice pudding. I may have never had more delicious food. And the farm owner/shepherdess was also the cook. She told us where every single ingredient came from. It was the most "local" meal I have ever eaten. This was true Irish hospitality.


The food was hot and ready when we arrived.


We sat around a hodgepodge of tables in her lovely backyard. 


Everything was fresh.


A picture perfect lunch with the best group of travelers/knitters.


This is one time I wish I had served myself more.
The lamb stew was amazing.


The rice pudding was warm and yummy.


By now I had learned...don't be bashful. 
Have a large portion!


Suzanne told us about her farm and her job as caretaker and protector 
of some rare biological species. 
She reminded us that we all share this one earth 
and what happens to one of us, happens to all of us.


Her rare Zwartbles sheep were on the other side of the backyard fence.



I am not normally a lover of lamb. But this stew changed my mind. You can make it yourself and pretend you're eating it on a sheep farm. 

*You'll find the recipe here. And you can follow the link on the sidebar to read more about Suzanne and her farm.




2 comments:

  1. Your beautiful words and photos brought this lovely day back so vividly.... our little vignette of paradise. Thanks for posting the recipe too. It was so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you stumbled on the perfect tour! I found that very often in Europe food tastes delicious as much because of the fresh, untampered with, ingredients as because of the talent of the cook. In America, very often, a peach no longer tastes like a peach. Although I've noticed lately that this is changing. Thank you for the recipe! I will try it, but a good lamb may be a challenge:-). Chloe

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.