Thursday, June 20, 2019

The Wonders Of Being A Grandmother


Just when I'm thinking "I have nothing to write about" one of my readers who is a frequent commenter does it for me. Thank you, Chloe, for your beautifully written words about parenting and grandparenting that you made on my last post about our Mimi Camp. Since they are already online for the world to see, I'm hoping you don't mind that I post them again.
Just when you think your own child has past the last fun stage of their lives and you no longer marvel at every new experience that they are going through - they go and have grandchildren and this time it is all fun and fresh and less responsibility. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas to engage our grandchildren at a time in our lives when it might be a lot easier to just sit on the porch and watch them watching Sesame Street. The scavenger hunt idea is just the best. I had forgotten things like that. Chloe. P.S. My one brainstorm was giving a Backwards Party for my daughter when she was 8. A good age for that!
Chloe is exactly right. My favorite line from her comment was "...and this time it is all fun and fresh and less responsibility." As my little campers were getting buckled into their carseats to head home, Baby Girl (she's 5) said, "I want to live here all the time, Mimi." And I told her that if she did live here, it would not be Mimi Camp all the time. Her older, wiser sister (age 8) chimed in, "That means no treats from Daddy-O every day." 

As a grandmother, I can bend the daily rules. Trust me, Mommy, I try not to break them. But the girls do get some special treatment when they are here. They get jelly on their normally plain peanut butter sandwiches. They stay up later at night. They get to drink pure cranberry juice for breakfast and not the usual, healthier juice/water mix. All the good healthy things they learn at home are stretched a little here. We say these are treats for Mimi's house. At home they go back to the regular rules.

Let me assure Mommy that they do not get unlimited treats despite what they may tell you. They do brush their teeth before bed. They do hear the word "no" every day. They do pick up their toys. They have vegetables at supper every night. We try to limit TV time and monitor what they are watching. It is not a free-for-all when we have them.  But, as it should be, the rules are different when they are with us. 

I take my role as grandmother very seriously. I feel like my job is to support the parents. To reinforce the values that these children are learning at home. To provide unconditional love for the grandchildren. But also to let grandchildren explore and experience and do things that make colossal messes. We want to have fun with them. To be silly with them. To hug them tightly. To enjoy every minute of this small window of wonder that grandchildren pass through. All too soon, they will reach the stage where the interaction will become, "Hi, Mimi. Bye, Mimi," as they come and go out to be with friends, head off to practice of some sort and do whatever teenagers do.

Make these memories now, grandparents, while these little people still think we are all-wise, all-knowing and completely wonderful!


P.S.  I love reading comments from you. I still cannot reply to any of them. I have tried every way I can think of on every device I own. Sometimes I know who you are, and sometimes I only know you from seeing your comments here, like Chloe. Thank you, Chloe, for being a regular commenter. Congratulations to "unknown" who told me she was going to be a first time grandmother in a few weeks. How exciting! And Jane and GoodnightGram and Buttercup and Missy and the other "anonymous" and "unknown" commenters, hello to you, all! 

P.P.S.  Chloe, what's a backwards party?









6 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi, thank you for your nice comment. Grandmotherhood brings back memories of my own wonderful grandmother and now that I have a grandchild of my own I love seeing how you do it modern-style. I wrote you a long description of our Backwards Party but Google didn't like it so I will try again. Shorter this time. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a hard time publishing Mimi. Will try later. Chloe

      Delete
  2. Instruct guests to dress backwards and arrive at back door. Dress backwards yourself and greet them with Good-bye and when they leave say Hello. Open presents First. Cake and ice-cream Before spinach (kidding, that's another party), and so on, add your own touches. If you can find a copy of a party book co-authored by Meredith Brokaw, Tom's wife, they have a version of it in there. Plus other great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was me, Chloe. Also I wanted to add that the book also suggested playing relay games such as undressing then re-dressing a teddy bear. And the guests can be really fun. One long-haired child combed all her hair forward (like Cousin It) and walked in backwards (guided by her mother). A hoot. Sorry I no longer have the book. Maybe on Amazon? EBay? Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely photos of your sweet granddaughters. We spent a lot of time with our grandchildren when they were little and now, as teenagers, even though they're busy, they make time to visit with us. I still have one little grandson (6) whom I play with and spoil (somewhat). I do like to keep the rules of their parents, but I agree that bending them a little is what grandparents should be allowed to do! I just had a 12 year old grandson visiting, and he said, "Wow - you give me so many choices Grammy!" (He was smiling about the different choices for a snack...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. Grandchildren are absolutely wonderful - I have five! I wish they lived closer but for now, they do not. We make the best of our time together and also Face Time and keep the US postal service busy.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.