Monday, January 27, 2020

Food And Friends And Family

Turkey Sweet Potato Chili

One of the best things you can do for a new mother is take her a meal. Or even part of a meal. First time mothers have lots to learn about caring for a newborn. Mothers who have other children have their hands full, too. All new mothers could use a kitchen boost. Plus, it tells them they've got friends and family who care about them.

This delicious chili was delivered by Jessica's friend. She brought food and encouragement and helpful advice for the new mom. I asked for the recipe and she sent the link and told me about her adjustments to the recipe. I want to make this when I get home. My older daughter (again...need to rename everyone here on the blog...ugh.) said she has made this recipe several times and her family loves it.

The original recipe is from Skinny Taste. We've used many of her recipes and have found them to be dependably good.

TURKEY SWEET POTATO CHILI

1 medium white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (14-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 oz. goat cheese, divided
optional garnishes:  sliced scallions, diced avocado

Brown meats in a large pot or Dutch oven on stove top. Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT goat cheese. Simmer 2 hours. Before serving, stir in half of goat cheese. Use the other half as garnish when serving. Can use scallions and avocado as garnish also.


To complete this meal, friend Ali brought cornbread and an arugula/orange salad. Oh....and chocolate chip cookies. Can't forget the cookies! This was an easy meal for us to heat up and eat. This new family is learning to eat in the minutes available here and there. This meal works.

There are so many times that homemade food says "I care." Mommy (my older daughter) had already brought Baked Rotini plus sides one night. And wise, experienced mother that she is, she divided the recipe into two square pans—one to bake, one to freeze for later.


Of course, I've taken many meals to people over the years. People with new babies, people home from the hospital, people with a bereavement. I learned from my mom who was a generous cook. But ages ago I got a phone call one day from a friend and she said, "I'm cooking your supper tonight." There was no new baby, no one was sick and no one had died. I was just doing the busy after-school chauffeuring thing. Jane wanted to do a kind thing for me. And it was AWESOME. All these years later, I don't remember what the meal was but I DO remember the dessert. It was a no-bake chocolate eclair cake. I don't have her recipe, but it was similar to this one.

Well, I've managed to make myself hungry. I'll be back soon. After I've found a snack.











1 comment:

  1. I commented from my iPad yesterday but don't think it went through. Bringers of food are always welcome at my house! Your baby granddaughter is looking very content!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.