Saturday, January 18, 2020

Easy Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry

Easy Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry

This is surely not an award winning food photo. But I'm proud there is a picture at all. This was supper the first full day home from the hospital with new baby. Everyone (including me) was beyond tired. But people still have to eat. I knew what was in the refrigerator, so I did a recipe search for "quick easy chicken broccoli." And this recipe popped up at the top of my choices. What a perfect meal. Yes. It was quick and it was easy. And it was really, really good. I want to make this for Daddy-O soon after I get home. 


Here is the wee baby, doing what she does best. She's a champion napper. Now, all the grandmamas know that won't last, but for right now it's good that the new mom can get a little rest, too.


And I'm taking advantage of a weekend R&R. I'll go back for a few more days, and then head back to the farm. I know I won't get to see this little lady so very often, so I've been delighted to have some time with her at the very beginning. And to have some extra time with my daughter. 

Now, for the recipe. I made it pretty close to the original. I did cut chicken tenders (that's what was in the fridge) into chunks which was even easier than cutting up the boneless breasts the recipe calls for. Obviously, either works. Her recipe also called for toasted sesame oil. New mama's pantry had regular sesame oil and that was fine. Don't go buy toasted if you have regular sesame oil on hand.

The 12-minute part? (The original recipe is called 12-Minute Chicken & Broccoli.) Not the way I cook. Looking at the original recipe and doing the math, there is 9 minutes cooking time which leaves 3 minutes prep time. I don't work that fast. And I probably cooked everything a little longer, too. I'm still learning how their stove works.

Here's how I did it:

Set out all ingredients before you start. Measure and stir together sauce ingredients. Start cooking rice before you start the chicken. Rice takes about 20 minutes to cook on the stove top. I toasted some sesame seeds while the chicken was cooking. Put a couple of tablespoons of sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat and stir them occasionally until they are a golden color. Remove from heat.

CHICKEN & BROCCOLI STIR FRY

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 (1-lb) packages chicken tenders, cut into chunks
salt & pepper (I used House Seasoning—see below)
1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (discard stem)
1 teaspoon sesame oil (regular or toasted)
optional toppings: sliced green onion, toasted sesame seeds

Stir Fry Sauce:
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons honey
2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 teaspoon ground ginger
         Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.

Put 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt & pepper. Cook chicken chunks about 5 minutes, until browned and almost cooked through.

Make sauce (if you haven't already done this) while chicken is cooking.

Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the chopped broccoli and stir together. Cook about 3 more minutes until broccoli is bright green. Stir in sauce and cook for about 1 minute, until sauce is thickened. Stir in sesame oil.

Serve over rice and top with garnishes, if using.


I am really happy to have this recipe in my recipe box now. I thought it might need more sauce because similar recipes I've made never seem to have enough. But this was perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I always keep a jar of house seasoning on the shelf. Sometimes I make a big batch. Most times I make it in this smaller proportion.
 *House Seasoning:  
1/4 cup salt 
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. garlic powder

Mix well. S
tore in an air-tight container, such as an empty spice bottle or small jar. 







2 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have some time with that newborn granddaughter. And lucky family to have you close to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the newest little girl. She is beautiful. Babies just make the world a happier place. Enjoy the time with your daughter and the babe.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.