Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Enchilada Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato in the Slow Cooker

Enchilada Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato


Today is Election Day 2020. It calls for some easy, comfort food in the kitchen. 
This recipe fits the bill.

I have seen this recipe from SkinnyTaste pop up on Instagram more than once. The idea that I could bake sweet potatoes and make chicken in my slow cooker at the same time intrigued me. So last week when I had sweet potatoes that needed to be used and a pack of chicken breasts in the freezer that needed to be cooked, it seemed like time to try this. I must say this is about the easiest meal I've ever made. Healthy. Delicious. Easy. What more could you ask for? 

I only made one change. I used a can of enchilada sauce instead of making my own like the recipe suggests. Truth be told, I'll probably use canned sauce the next time—and there will be a next time—but I will use medium sauce instead of mild. You might rather go for hot even. But the mild just didn't have enough pizazz here. Top the stuffed potatoes anyway you like. We went for the basics. Sour cream and cheese. And I was delighted to find the very last parsley waiting for me in the garden. It surely makes a better photo with that little pop of green in the picture!


ENCHILDA CHICKEN STUFFED SWEET POTATOES

4 medium sweet potatoes, skin on
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (my pack had 2 breasts)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (10-oz ) can red enchilada sauce 

Your choice of toppings: sour cream or Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, chopped scallions, cilantro

Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Wrap individually in foil. (I love the box of foil sheets for this.)
Season chicken with salt and garlic powder. (I used my house seasoning instead) and place on one end of a 6-qt slow cooker. Spoon 1/4 cup enchilada sauce over chicken. Refrigerate remaining sauce for later.

Place potatoes on the other end. Stack them up to fit. Cover and set to cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

When done, remove chicken and potatoes. Place chicken in a bowl and use two forks to shred. Stir in remaining sauce. 

To serve, split sweet potatoes and top with shredded saucy chicken. Sprinkle shredded cheese on each potato and place under broiler for a couple on minutes to melt cheese. (I skipped this step.) Add any other toppings you choose.


I am enjoying seeing fall photos on Instagram. Some even include snow! We don't have much leaf color here yet. Here is what our fall looks like so far...










 



6 comments:

  1. We had this late night and it was delicious. Because my husband loves spicy food I seasoned the chicken with a Cajun spice blend I had recently found. Otherwise everything the same. So easy! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Ha! I thought maybe you meant late last night.

      Delete
  3. It did look like that, didn't it?:-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That recipe sounds great! I love sweet potatoes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.