Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Season Of Hope


Today was the first Sunday of Advent. It's been a while since we had a wreath at home but this year we really needed one. When our girls were small we had a special breakfast each of the four Advent Sundays and lit a candle when we sat down to eat. (Then went to church to see another one lit.) This year it was just coffee in a Christmas mug but that was enough.

I didn't grow up in a liturgical church. (Although I think many non-liturgical churches now observe some seasons like Advent and Lent.) But I have come to love the traditional observances, the changing colors of altar linens that reflect the liturgical calendar, and the creeds that we say together. It's how we feel connected. 


And on this holiday weekend when we were without family here, we figured out that we could still be together. One afternoon the little girls and I had a zoom visit while their parents worked on their outside decorations. Little Sister taught me how to cut paper snowflakes. And then she led me in a dance class. Even Daddy-O got involved in that. It's been a while since he and I danced and it was fun. 

It was all so much fun that we decided to do it again the next day. Then I thought, "Why stop with a couple of days? Let's do the 12 days of Christmas!" They have been out of (virtual) school this week so we got three of the days in. So far they have been in charge of planning what we do. And we have a time limit of about an hour. 

We also spent some time this weekend pulling out Christmas decorations. Daddy-O told me that I've decorated more this year than I have in ages. Maybe ever. It's partly because I've been home more. No road trips to see school Christmas programs or choir cantatas. No weekend in the mountains. Just home. And it's partly because we, like everyone else, needs some extra cheer this year. Our house looks like I'm aiming for a "Festival of Lights." Nothing is fancy, but there are little pre-lit trees in multiple corners and on the porches. I'm waiting on a new wreath with lights for the front door. And then I'll declare it finished.

On our 2nd day of zoom Christmas we drew portraits of each other. We had the 3rd day of Zoom Christmas this afternoon. If you haven't zoomed, it's pretty easy. (Is there anyone who hasn't zoomed yet?) Today they taught me some new zoom skills. We did a screen share where we could both draw on the screen. And we could still see each other and chat—see the small windows on the right?—while we were working. We drew the four seasons today. 

Going clockwise from top left we drew Spring, Fall, Winter and Summer. This was so much fun once I found the buttons to click so that I could change colors and line sizes. And erase. They are patient teachers.



Today's 12 days of Christmas zoom also included tic tac toe. Baby Girl and I are pretty evenly matched so we had a lot of no winner games. And then she led me in a stretch class. Thank goodness, for many months now I've been faithfully doing an online fitness class (Grow Young Fitness) so I was totally able do all that this six year old asked for. Now, my form didn't quite look like hers, but I was close enough considering there's over a half century between our ages! I'm glad there are no photos of that activity.

We have ended each of our Zoom visits with a joke session. After three days we might have told all the winter/Christmas jokes we know. Can't wait to see what they have planned next. 


Daddy-O got into the decorating spirit this weekend, too. When you have a red barn in the pasture beside the house, it begs for a big wreath. There is a wreath on the other barn, too. And it won't be long before there is one on the tractor. 

So all in all, it was a good Thanksgiving weekend. Even though this year has been different, some things always stay the same. The advent candle we lit this morning was the candle of hope. This year in particular, we need that. And we need a candle that reminds us to keep hoping.



2 comments:

  1. I love your Zoom sessions with the grands. We have also done a bit more decorating this year, and we're enjoying the lights and the Santas.I love the wreath on your red barn. Happy Holidays! PS I did a turkey breast in the crockpot, and Bob said it was delicious (he loved the gravy). A lot less hassle than a whole turkey. I made soup with leftovers, of course!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.