Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Good Yarn

I like to knit. That means I also like to shop for yarn. So while I've been traveling, I found a couple of fun local yarn shops. A great find on Prince Edward Island was Northern Watters Knitwear. There was only a small selection of yarn and but all of it was made in Canada, perfect for a souvenir purchase. (Yep, there was one shop we visited in Mahone Bay that sold exactly the same yarns I can buy here at home. No fun there even though it was a nice shop.) So I brought a couple of skeins of sock yarn home.

But Jessica may have purchased the better souvenir---one that doesn't require her making it. She bought a sweater that was knit there at the store while we were on the island. We stopped in one day to check on the progress and got to see the finished pieces. The sweater was assembled and ready before we left for home. Now Jessica just has to wait for cold weather so that she can wear it.  She will be enjoying this sweater for a long time while I am trying to decide what to knit and then it will likely take me forever to finish something.




But I did do some "travel knitting" while we were gone. One scarf on the flight up and then another scarf on the trip home. And both are done!


 Lacy Baktus
The Fibre Company Canopy Fingering, 2 skeins
Size 5 needles

I'd seen many photos of this Baktus and thought it looked easy enough to try on the plane. Turned out to be a great choice.  I might even get to wear this as a light wrap on a cool evening and not have to wait for winter.

I was almost done with the Lacy Baktus by the time I was packing for the flight home, so I cast on another scarf to keep me busy on the return trip. The January Scarf was a fun pattern and easy enough that I had finished half of it by the time I got home. Hope I don't have to wait until January to wear it.


January Scarf
Arucania Ranco Solid, 1 skein
Size 5 needles

I would be knitting this morning but I left my knitting bag at Baby Sister's house yesterday when I went to stay with her so that Mommy could take a nap. Seems that Baby Sister's souvenir from the beach was a cold that kept her up for a couple of nights. She's better now, thankfully.

Oh...there is a great yarn shop at the beach, too. But that story will have to wait.


4 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm amazed that you can order a sweater to go! That really is a neat souvenir. Looks like a lovely shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lacy baktus is gorgeous! Mine turned out wonky. I think I must knit it again after seeing yours :). And I'm queuing the January scarf... looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scarves are great! I've spent the last week or two educating myself on spinning wheels and the there are some hard core knitters out there! Want to spin your own yarn?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.