Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Squashed


This has not been the best year for our garden. Extreme heat has even made the plants tired. But the squash? It just keeps coming and coming. We have baked, roasted, stir fried, steamed, and stewed. And we still can't keep up with it. I know, I know. I could put some in the freezer. But I doubt that will happen.

Here is my most favorite recipe for squash. (This recipe comes from a time in my life when I made things that dirtied three pans. I'm more into one pan recipes now. But this is worth a little extra effort.) It makes a nice light supper. Daddy-O had a dinner meeting one night last week, so I made this for Mommy and me to enjoy. Daddy-O expects meat. 


The recipe came from Bon Appetit magazine many years ago, as best I can remember. The crust was made from refrigerated cornbread twists, which no longer exists. So this is my updated version. Jessica used whole wheat pizza dough from Whole Foods for her crust. The best choice at my local grocery store was a can of Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough. 

Summer Garden Tart
  • 2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 cup vertically slice Vidalia onion
  • 2 cups sliced yellow squash (about 2 medium)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme ( or 1 tsp. dried)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
  • 1/2 cup 1%-low-fat milk
  • 1 can refrigerated pizza crust (thin crust style)
  • cornmeal
  • cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in skillet. Add onion, squash, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic. Saute about 7 minutes, until browned.
2. Combine corn and milk in a saucepan over medium heat and cook 13 minutes. Spray a 10x14-inch baking sheet with PAM and sprinkle with cornmeal.
3. Roll dough out into pan and crimp edges to make rim. Sprinkle with mozzarella; top with corn and vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, until crust is golden. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serves 6.

Someone asked how many Weight Watchers points this recipe had. I plugged all the ingredients into the recipe builder, using 1/2 cup mozzarella.   WW Points Plus: 6 points per serving


I had no parsley but it does add some nice color, as you can see in Jessica's tart. You can also use 1 cup yellow squash and 1 cup zucchini if that's what your garden--or store--has available.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.