Saturday, June 30, 2012

Cool As A Cucumber---NOT


Triple digit temperatures have arrived here. The humidity here in the deep South makes the heat index even higher. It's too hot to spend much time in the kitchen. But we still have to eat. Last night we just wanted a cool supper. I also wanted something quick and easy because Baby Sister was right under me, determined to "help."

Cucumber salad (along with our leftovers) fit the bill. If Daddy-O was willing to walk out to the garden to pick the cucumbers, I could at least peel them! A favorite local restaurant (sadly, it's closed now) used to serve "cucumber salad" fairly often and we were always happy when that was on the menu. We've made the same thing for years but we didn't have a name for such a simple dish. I like that it's an official recipe now.

One cucumber from our garden nearly filled the bowl. If you are buying pickling cucumbers at the store, it might take two or three.


Cucumber Salad

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 slightly-rounded tablespoons sugar
sprinkle of salt 
cucumbers, peeled & thinly sliced
sweet onion, thinly sliced & separated into rings

Mix vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Stir until sugar dissolves. Pour over cucumbers and onion. Place in refrigerator for an hour or longer before serving.


I like to use a glass bowl for this because of all the vinegar. Does that really make a difference? I don't know but that's how I do it. You can adjust the amount of sugar or vinegar to suit your family if you want it sweeter or less sweet, or not quite as tart. But these measurements are a good starting place.

I'm watching the weather forecast this morning as I type this. Looks like we might be eating this cool salad all weekend. Please be careful in this heat!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the cucumber salad recipe. We'll be starting to pick ours this coming week. Did you have those storms we've heard about?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.