Thursday, November 15, 2012

Down For The Count


I have been under the weather for a while. The kind of sick that means days under a blanket on the sofa, not even wanting to read or knit or anything else I usually enjoy. No cooking, for sure. But we did have plenty to eat. I have such good friends. And my friends are excellent cooks. They brought me assorted soups, complete meals, desserts and even things for my freezer for this week. We have been thankful for every bite of every dish. We have been blessed.

The first phone call I got was, "I'll be there in 30 minutes. I'm bringing you a pot of soup." Then she added, "I'm worried that Daddy-O doesn't have anything to eat!" I love my friends.

I've made white chicken chili and I've eaten it other places, but hers was different. Thick and creamy. She said I could share her recipe. (She did tell me she only added a small amount of the green chilies since I probably needed something plain. It was good like that. So adjust to suit your taste.) She also brought corn muffins and told me to crumble one into my soup. Comfort food when I really needed it.  Thankfully, I am on the mend. Still moving slowly--but moving.


WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

3 to 4 chicken breasts, with skin & bones
salt & pepper
1 onion, chopped
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
olive oil (for sauteing)
1 small can diced green chilies with juice
1 (8-oz) block of Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
2 cans condensed cream of celery soup
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cans white Northern beans or navy beans, drained & rinsed

Boil chicken breast with skin and bones, salt and pepper until falling apart.

Discard skin and bones, shred chicken with fork, set aside and save broth.

In a separate large pot, saute onion and minced garlic in olive oil. To this pot, add the shredded chicken, and all remaining ingredients.

Stir everything together and add in chicken broth until you reach the right thickness. Simmer to let flavors mix.



1 comment:

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.