Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sweet Treats


This week I'm trying to catch up after weeks of being sick. At the same time, I'm trying not to do too much because I surely don't want a sick "do over." That's most inconvenient right here at the holiday season. Haven't cooked much this week, so I've pulled out a recipe from a past party. You might find it useful during the Christmas season.

I've made these tassies many times. I love them because they are delicious and they look like I've worked much harder than I really did. The above photo is from a bridal shower we hosted a couple of years ago. The tassies are perfect on a holiday buffet table. Or you could wrap a dozen or two in a pretty package for a special gift for a neighbor. And keep the rest for yourself. They are great with a cup of coffee.

The first time I made them was several years ago on a Thanksgiving morning. It was not part of my plan but I had some extra time while waiting for other things to cook. I had the ingredients on hand so decided to try a new recipe while I had some extra minutes. I was thrilled to find out they were as tasty as they were simple to make.

You’ll find the toffee bits next to the chocolate chips in a baking aisle at the grocery store. I also used a couple of those small bags of pecan chips to speed things up. I keep those on hand most of the time.  In fact, most of these things are pantry staples. (Hmmm, wonder if there is such a thing as chocolate toffee bits?)


PECAN TOFFEE TASSIES

1 (15-oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts
¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 (8-oz.) bag Heath toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350°.

Unroll one pie crust onto a lightly floured surface.  Roll into a 15-inch circle.  Cut out circles using a 2-½ inch biscuit cutter, rerolling dough as needed.  Press circles into mini-muffin tins to make crust.  Repeat with other pie crust to make 48 tart shells.

Combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, and eggs in a large bowl, mixing well.  Add the vanilla.  Stir in the pecans and toffee bits.  Spoon the pecan filling evenly into the tart shells.

Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until filling is set and crust is lightly browned.  Cool in the pans on wire racks.

As much as I like putting things in the freezer, I did discover these do not freeze well. Tried that once and while they tasted good, the crust lost its crispness when it thawed. 



4 comments:

  1. A Hershey's Symphony candy bar is chocolate toffee. Don't know if they make it in bits, but you could probably chop it up to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make pecan tassies every year for the holiday cookie platter. But TOFFEE pecan tassies? I am absolutely making these--cannot wait (no really, I'm not waiting. Thinking this week.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure these are delicious, containing as they do many of my favorite ingredients. YUM.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.