Thursday, April 18, 2013

Just Muffins



The date on the Bisquick said it would expire soon. The bananas? They were headed for the trash if I didn't use them within the next 9 minutes. Perfect reason to make a favorite recipe last night after supper.


The first time I made these years ago was when Daddy-O came home from the office one night and remembered to tell me he had to take a treat the next morning for the office Christmas party. This was in the days when I had a baby on my hip and a toddler wrapped around my leg most of the day. But even so, it just wasn't in my soul to send something bought, so I quickly made these.

Daddy-O was a little reluctant to take "just muffins" to the party but that's the best I could do on short notice. When he came home from work that night, he brought in an empty plate and three requests for the recipe. We've been making them ever since.

BANANA MUFFS


2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg
1 cup mashed bananas (2 to 3 medium)
Thin Icing
Chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine baking mix, sugar, butter and egg; beat vigorously for 30 seconds. Fold in bananas.
Fill 36 greased mini-muffin cups 2/3 full. (Or, use cupcake papers.)
Bake 12-15 minutes.
While warm, frost with Thin Icing and sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Thin Icing: Blend 1 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons water until smooth.

      Makes 36 mini-muffins. You can also make 12 regular-size muffins.


Confession time: I didn't measure the bananas—I just used the 2-1/2 I had on the counter. In my rush to make them, I just put all the ingredients in the bowl at the same time and stirred it up really good. Also, I never measure the sugar for the icing. I just pour a little sugar in a bowl and add water a spoonful at a time until it will drizzle. (If you don't cook much, you might want to measure the first time or two.)  And sometimes I have to stir up a little more. But that's fine.

I asked Daddy-O how these tasted since I took some liberties with the directions. He said he'd have to try a second plate full before he could give me an answer. After eating seven, he said they were wonderful. And they are. Every time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.