Thursday, January 9, 2014

Knit A Little Love


Pattern: Basic Vanilla Sock, cast on 60 stitches
Yarn:  Paton's Kroy Sock Stripe--Blue Ragg
Needle Size:  2

Knitting gifts for Christmas is always risky business because the calendar seems to move into warp speed once you pass Thanksgiving. All the plans that sounded reasonable weeks before change into "what was I thinking" mode. But I ALMOST finished these fun striped socks in time to put in Jessica's Christmas stocking. They were done a couple of days late, but in time for her to take back to Atlanta with her.


Pattern: Turn A Square
Yarn: Ella Rae Classic Solid & Noro Silk Garden
Needle Size:  5 & 7

This week, I have taken advantage of some slower days after the holiday rush to try a pattern that's been on my to-do list for a long time. Two more gifts checked off my list. Why did I think this was a hard pattern? This hat could easily be a one-afternoon project. I did each of them in a couple of shorter sessions. I still need another hat to finish my Christmas list. If I were really smart, I would start my planning and knitting for next Christmas right now! (Two hats from one skein of the solid and one skein of the Noro.)


Here's my knitting tip for the day—put your work on a tray instead of in a knitting bag to easily move it around in the house. It's great for keeping the little bits and pieces contained and it's easy to see everything at once. I might move from TV knitting to by-the-window knitting to fireplace knitting. I like the tray.


Yes, I know. You've seen this photo already. But it makes me smile to see Little Sister so intent on working along side Jessica and taking her "knitting" so seriously.




And it's not too late to share a recipe I made while everyone was here, is it? Pancakes for everyone is a sure winner. This is almost as easy as a bought mix and so much better. Mix your dry ingredients the night before and it's super quick. (I made a double batch for our full house.)

HOMEMADE PANCAKES

1 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
vegetable oil for the griddle (about 1 tablespoon)

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture; whisk until just moistened. (Do not overmix; a few small lumps are okay.)

Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium to low. Lightly oil griddle, using a paper towel to spread the oil. Pour about 1/4 cup batter (for each pancake) onto griddle. Cook until surface of pancakes have some bubbles and a few have burst. Flip carefully with a spatula, and cook until browned on the underside. Remove to plate. Serve warm, with butter and maple syrup.

Serves 4 (or 2 very hungry people.) Makes about 12 pancakes.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.