Monday, August 18, 2014

It's Been A Week



It's been a week now. A week since we heard those little feet hit the floor—plop!. Then blap, blap, blap on the hardwood as Little Sister walked in each morning to greet us. There was never any thought of sneaking up on us. She was right behind Daddy-O all summer, helping him do "farm work." Feels like much longer than that.


The crib has been moved. The toys are put away. The storybooks are back on the shelf. The doll house has been stored until next time. The car seat is in the basement. And the kitchen here was closed for a week! I will admit that this grandmother was tired. Not tired of morning hugs and kisses, or nighttime snuggles and bedtime stories or rocking Baby Girl and singing her lots of songs. Her favorite when they left was There Was An Old Woman Who Swallowed A Fly. Never got tired of that part of our summer. But I will admit it's been good to sit still.


Last week was a busy as the nine weeks before it, when we had a full house. We spent it catching up on other things that had to wait while we gloried in the grandparent duties. But we squeezed in a lake get-away over the weekend and today has been gloriously relaxed. (Only for me--Daddy-O was plenty busy.) It's been quite a while since I've had that kind of day. It felt good.


Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino (DK)
Needle:  size 3

I did not pick up a knitting needle all summer. Or, a musical instrument (except for a couple of ukulele jams with Little Sister.) So it was nice to pick up the yarn and make another sweet baby hat this week. And I've learned to play Fur Elise on the ukulele in the last couple of days. I've read a couple of books. Those are good things, too.

Way out in the midwest, Big Sister started school today. It's her last year in middle school. Little Sister starts her preschool in a couple of weeks. Baby Girl? She just tags along, having to go wherever the car takes her! Talked to Little Sister this morning. She said, "I miss you. But I'll see you at Christmas!"




2 comments:

  1. The cabled baby hat is very sweet. Beautiful knitting! I must also say that the dock and the chairs look serene and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I can't wait to make another little hat. And yes, that chair on the dock is one of the best places to be when I need to unwind.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.