Monday, August 4, 2014

Sunday Revisted


What a weekend! Mommy and Daddy had a quick get-away before they head back home in a few days. So Daddy-O and I had Little Sister and Baby Girl by ourselves for the weekend. We did fine (although we are both tired this morning) and there were no catastrophes like Mommy expected. We played lots and changed a million diapers and bibs. 

Little Sister and I made it to church yesterday, too. I was not brave enough to take Baby Girl with us. Little Sister wore a dress yesterday that I had made for Jessica when she was about five. It was a little big on Little Sister, but close enough for her to wear. How much fun I've had seeing these dresses worn again. There were actually a couple of other grandmothers at church who remembered this dress from when Jessica wore it a long time ago.


Last Sunday, it was Baby Sister who wore one of Jessica's dresses. At this point, I cannot fathom how I ever found to time to actually sew, smock and embroider clothes for my girls. Having babies here this summer has been a full-time venture. Could it be that I was faster at everything when I was 30 years younger? Anyway, I'm just glad I saved the dresses.

I also managed to try one new recipe last night. Not sure what prompted my change of plan in the kitchen, other than I had everything on hand to make this. I saw this recipe on the Plain Chicken blog. I have come to trust her recipes—although I did wonder about this odd combination of marinade ingredients.


When it was done, I cut up some chicken and put a preschool portion on Little Sister's plate. I set her dinner plate out on the porch and went back to get the next plate and glass. When I came back, she had already eaten all of her chicken! This is the child who often avoids meats. She happily ate another larger portion. After his first bite, Daddy-O said, "This is a keeper!" And it is. We will make this again for sure.

BBQ RANCH GRILLED CHICKEN

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup bottled Ranch dressing (I used Hidden Valley)
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons BBQ seasoning (I used Weber Sweet & Tangy)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (at my store, they come 3 to a pkg—close enough)

Whisk together olive oil, Ranch dressing, Worcestershire sauce, BBQ seasoning, and vinegar. 

Pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. Place chicken in a gallon-size ziploc bag and pour marinade over chicken. Refrigerate for 8-12 hours.

Cook on grill heated to medium-high. Grill for 8-12 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear. 170 degrees with meat thermometer.


I took a shortcut and put the chicken in the gallon bag (I used a freezer bag which is heavier) and pounded it right in the bag, then added the marinade to the bag. And yes, the BBQ seasoning is a dry mix. You'll find it with the spices at the grocery store.

We have a crazy week ahead as we prepare to send our babies-in-residence back home next weekend. There are last visits to make, a fourth birthday party has to be fitted in, Big Sister comes back here from camp, Jessica arrives to see them off—yes, busy days, indeed. Then, after all of that rush, they will all leave. How different our house will feel this time next week. 



2 comments:

  1. Both dresses are ever so lovely on your granddaughters. Little Sister's curls and pose give that picture a sense of times both past and present. She is so photogenic ~ adorable! And Baby Sister's coloring is perfection for her little dress! What a precious expression on her face. I know how exhausted you both must be but also how much you will miss them when they are gone. What a blessing that they know you so well. Those bonds and memories are for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, good memories. The girls are so little that we hope they can remember these days, too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.