Thursday, November 6, 2014

Simple On The Side


There haven't been many recipes posted here for a while. The kitchen is still open and we are still eating, but I've been cooking "non-recipe" things like baked sweet potatoes and cooked cabbage and an assortment of peas and beans. Just plain cooking. Very plain.

But I did try one new recipe this week that was on the back of the lima bean package. It was an easy way to get another vegetable into the meal. Would I serve this if Martha Stewart was coming to dinner? No. Would I make it again for us? Yes. Daddy-O liked it. I might even take it to a covered dish dinner.

It's certainly not fancy. But it's a step above plain lima beans (which we like.) Just a fun way to dress up a basic side dish. I might add a little more garlic next time.

ITALIAN LIMA BEANS

1 (12-oz) pkg. frozen baby limas
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 can (14.5-oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put frozen limas and bouillon cube in a saucepan and cover with water. Boil for 3 minutes, then reduce heat and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain.

Add tomatoes (with juice), garlic and salt. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.



4 comments:

  1. I never could have guessed there would be a recipe on the back of a lima bean package! Simple can still be wonderful and satisfying. Just curious . . . what would you serve if Martha Stewart came to dinner???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since we know Martha will never be here, I'm safe in planning a menu. I would do the Bourbon Marinated Pork Tenderloin, mashed potatoes, and maybe the Caramalized Brussels Sprouts or Collards. The pork is hands down our favorite recipe! That recipe, the brussels sprouts recipe and the collards recipe are all in the index.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! My reply didn't work at all. It was a happy face in response to you Martha menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the question marks are more appropriate. :-)

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.