Saturday, November 1, 2014

'Tis What Season?


Finished Daddy-O's socks last night for a "Sock-tober" knitting challenge.


And woke up this morning in "Snow-vember."

We live in the deep South. Where it can be years between snows. Snow on November 1 is unheard of! Wonder what the rest of winter will bring? The good thing about southern snow is usually, like today, it was all gone in a couple of hours. Good photo op, but no fuss or muss with bad driving.

We might be debating if the current season is fall or winter. But without a doubt, it's still football season. Daddy-O's team plays on TV tonight and I thought hot dogs with homemade chili (from the freezer) and fries sounded like football food. 


Both recipes have been on the blog before—but years ago. It's time to revisit them. (I don't always have to come up with new recipes, do I?)


OVEN FRIES

4 baking potatoes
1 teaspoon cooking oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Spray baking sheet with PAM. Scrub potatoes, pat dry and slice each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges.
Put potatoes in mixing bowl and drizzle with 1 teaspoon of oil. Toss to coat.
Bake on sheet for 15 minutes. Turn and bake 15 minutes more, or until they begin to brown.

(This time I cut my wedges thinner and they cooked much quicker.  Just go by the color.)


HOT DOG CHILI

1 lb. lean ground beef (I don't like extra-lean for this)
1/2 of a 24-oz. bottle of ketchup
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt & pepper to taste

Place everything in a saucepan and mix together. (No, I don't brown it first.) Cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently as the meat on the bottom browns.  The meat will release it's juices as it cooks making it easier to stir. When it's all brown, cover and simmer on low heat for an hour. Or, 30 minutes. Or, somewhere in between. Stir every now and then.




4 comments:

  1. Brrr! Your snow looks cold . .,. even to a Minnesota! And I love football so your football food looks delicious! I watched Air Force beat Army to win the Commander in Chief Trophy and I have the Notre Dame game on now. Those socks turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This snow was a surprise! North Carolina was looking for a little, but they got a lot and we got the "little." So happy with the socks! Figured out how to get rid of the hole at the gusset. :-)

      Delete
  2. The socks look great ~ well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. Thankful for all my internet friends who helped me learn!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.