Thursday, February 5, 2015

Winter Supper

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

This photo is my tomorrow night's supper. I borrowed the photo from daughter Jessica's blog since I haven't made mine yet. She and I both have been using this recipe for years. You can see that she added mushrooms to her mix, but I'm giving you the recipe the way I do it.

This weekend is Knit Inn 2015 in a nearby city. I'm going tomorrow afternoon for a class, then I'll head back on Saturday morning for two classes. It is a terrific weekend for seeing old friends, meeting new knitters, learning, looking, and just maybe I'll have a new finished knit or two when it's done.

Since Friday's class is over at 5:00 PM, I knew I needed a slow cooker meal, ready to eat when I get home. Friday traffic in Greenville is not like Atlanta, but it's bad enough, so I'm not sure how long it will take to get back to the farm. It is also supposed to be cold and windy tomorrow. Beef stew will be the perfect supper.

This recipe takes a little more effort than my often-used slow cooker beef stew recipe. (Sprinkle onion soup over stew beef in the slow cook and then spread a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top. Cover and cook.) But this is oh so much better. It has much more flavor. The aroma is divine. I'm happy that my class isn't until afternoon, so I'll have time in the morning to do the prep.

SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 to 2 lb. beef stew meat
2 tablespoons cooking oil (or more as needed)
2 medium potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
2 or 3 carrots, peeled & cut into chunks
1 onion, peeled & cut into chunks
2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
2-1/2 cups V-8 juice

Place flour in a plastic bag. Add meat cubes and shake until meat is coated with flour. In a Dutch oven brown half of meat in 1 tablespoon of oil, turning to brown on all sides. Brown remaining meat in remaining oil. Drain off any excess oil.

In a 3-1/2 to 4 quart Crockpot, layer potatoes, carrots and onion. Add meat. Add all seasoning. Pour vegetable juice over all.

Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours (or on HIGH for 5-6 hours) until meat and vegetables are tender.  Discard bay leaf.

You can serve it in bowls or over rice. We've done it both ways.


2 comments:

  1. Can you swing by my house with two servings, please? I work 13 hours today and your stew looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish I could. This makes a massive amount of stew for the two of us. But it might be cold after a 1000 mile drive!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.