Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Memories In The Mail


I just put a box of dresses in the mail to Mommy and the girls today. In my after-Christmas deep cleaning, I found these dresses I had made years ago for our own little girls. The blue one was for Jessica. It even has a matching slip.


This pink dress and fancy work bib was made for Mommy.  As I pressed and then packed them to mail, I wondered how on earth I managed to sew this much when I had little people the right age to fit into them! They both look to be about a size 4. Little Sister's size now. (Are they too fancy for today's fashion? Maybe.)

The thought did cross my mind that I might have to fly out to press these dresses and tie the bows on the bib. Jessica and I had a funny conversation a year or two ago about what our obituaries might say. She declared that mine would include the line, "She tied a fine bow." Since dresses no longer have sashes, that skill is nearly gone. But, yes, I can still tie a fine bow!


Another thing that is about to go by the wayside is using a cookbook to find a recipe. Like so many of you, I am more likely to do a Google search when looking for a recipe now. But this time I pulled out a cookbook. A real book. With pages. Still trying to use up random items in the pantry. (I really should make a note of the recipe I had in mind when I buy these non-standard items.) 

I had a box of German chocolate cake mix that needed to be used pronto. And I almost always have pumpkin on hand. And there were chocolate chips left from holiday baking. I found just the recipe for these ingredients. Reminds me of the chocolate pumpkin muffins I've made before, but dressed up a little.

PUMPKIN GERMAN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

1 box of German chocolate cake mix
1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I didn't use it this time)
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Place cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low for 1 minute. Beat 2 minutes on medium, making sure to combine it well. Stir in chocolate chips. 

Spoon batter into greased (or use paper liners) muffin tins, filling each cup about 2/3 full. 

Bake 20-25 minutes, until they spring back when lightly pressed with your fingertip. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to rack to finish cooling.

Makes 24 muffins
 



4 comments:

  1. Those "fancy" dresses are heirlooms. You are an artist. Wow - pumpkin and chocolate - two of my favorites. I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. Maybe they will be worn at least once more.

      Delete
    2. I think I'd call those lovely dresses feminine. I miss the days of femininity... when little girls were allowed to be little girls, young ladies were encouraged to be young ladies and women grew into womanhood. Very dear dresses, sewn and tied with love. Thank you for sharing them with us.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Robin. You're right. I don't think I've even heard the word "femininity" is a long time. Maybe it just looks different now.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.