Monday, May 4, 2015

Off To The Races


This grandmother had a fun weekend in the city. I drove down to Atlanta for Derby Day, a charity event that raises funds for The Shepherd Center, a rehabilitation hospital that treats patients with brain and spinal cord injuries, a truly remarkable facility that is ranked among the top in the nation.


Derby Day has been going on for years. This was the 33rd Annual Derby Day. Jessica's very good friends co-chaired the event this year. Thanks to their hard work and that of many volunteers, it all went so smoothly.


Derby Day attracts about 1,500 attendees of all ages. There were babies and children, many many young professionals and folks with silver hair—all dressed in Derby Day finery, including those wonderful hats.


The big day was held at Chastain Horse Park in Atlanta. While it was not like being at the actual race, a horse park was the next best place to be. The food was fabulous. The band, The Last Waltz Ensemble, played all afternoon. The weather was perfect.


Late in the afternoon I was lucky to find a seat in the shade with a good view of everything. Jessica checked in to make sure I was having fun. She didn't have to worry. I had a great time.


There was a silent auction and a live auction. Everything at Derby Day is done with thoughts of having fun and raising funds. During the afternoon I met many of Jessica's friends. Finally I have faces to put with names I've heard for years. I met parents of friends. (Some of them even read this blog. Hi!)


And after a full afternoon of fun, it was time for the big event--the Kentucky Derby. When the race started, the crowd focused on one of the two giant screens outdoors. And there were big screen TVs for those who opted to stay inside. Just a perfect day all the way around.


And as always, a weekend in Atlanta is going to include delicious food in fun restaurants. Both of these photos were breakfast!

Now I am back at home on the farm, happy to settle down for a few days before I head out to visit grandchildren. Grandmothers are busy people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.