Thursday, October 6, 2016

Two More Baby Heads To Warm

Pattern:  basic rolled brim hat
Yarn:  Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino
Needle:  size 6  or  size 5

I have made this same sweet baby hat over and over. For babies I knew. For babies I've never met. For babies that belong to friends. And babies that belong to people I don't know. (Daughters often request hats for their friends and co-workers.) Hats are given to babies at our church. Hats are mailed across the country to new babies in other states. Sometimes I get photos of babies wearing their hat. Other times I never know if they are worn. But they are knitted proof that someone cares.

I just counted. I've made 27 of these little hats so far. Now, I have also made another 15 hats from several other patterns. (I do love the cabled baby hat, too.) But it's this simple rolled brim hat that I love best. It is just the sweetest hat on a newborn baby. And it's pretty quick to make, which is a plus for me. 

This is not exactly a pattern, but just the most basic directions. If you've knitted hats before, this is enough information for you to make one. If you are a newer knitter, you can search the internet for more complete patterns.

 Newborn Rolled Brim Hat

I use DK or sport weight yarn (less than 50 grams) and always choose something that is machine washable. I don't worry about the "lay flat to dry" part. These little hats dry quickly.

You'll need size 5 or size 6 (16-inch) circular needles and DPNs. I have used both, depending on which needles I have empty. If your yarn is slightly finer, you might the size 5 best. There will be a some difference in the hat size with the difference size needles, but both will work for a newborn. Size 6 is usually my first choice.
Cast on 72 stitches. Join. Knit for 5 to 5-1/4 inches.
Begin decreases:
   K2tog, k6
   K2tog, k5
   K2tog, k4, etc.
Switch to DPNs when necessary.
When there are 5 stitches left on needles, work i-cord for about 6 rows. Last row, I work two k2tog to give me 3 stitches left. Cut yarn and run tail through those 3 stitches. Take yarn down through inside of stem and work in end.
Baby Girl in her newborn hat a couple of years ago

I like to wash the hats in Dreft before I give them, so that they are ready to wear. Be sure to tell the new mom. And I tag them with care instructions. For babies, I want a yarn that is machine washable. The Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino can be machine washed, but should be laid flat to dry. A tiny hat will dry quickly so that's not a big deal. There are yarns that can go into the dryer, too.

Big warning for any knitted item!!!  Make sure avoid contact—especially in the washer—with Velcro. It will grab onto the knit and doesn't want to let go. Sometimes I'll include a mesh bag (especially when giving a blanket) for laundry in with the gift. With our grandchildren, we would put the bibs with Velcro tabs into one of those bags when doing laundry to keep the Velcro away from any knitted items.


++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATE:  This morning it looks like the hurricane will graze the coastline of our state tomorrow. But maybe as a lower category storm than first thought. The problem with hurricanes is that information keeps changing making an "accurate" prediction possible. We could see that people were taking the evacuation order seriously as we drove about 100 miles in the direction of our coast yesterday for a funeral. Needless to say our drive back home took longer than it took to get there.








4 comments:

  1. The hats are picture perfect! And look at that little Baby Girl and how she's grown since that photo! Take care and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought about your post recently on preparations for winter storms. Or hurricane season. We have a family of evacuees from the coast here for a couple of days. Listening to them talk about deciding what to bring with them (when they had no clue what would be left when they got home) was sobering.

      Delete
  2. I do use laundry bags but never thought to gift one when giving a gift of a blanket or other delicate knit item. Great idea.
    And I really love this hat so much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. I give the laundry bags in hopes that the things I knit survive! We put all of the velcro items (mosty bibs) into the bag, instead of putting the knits in the bag. That has worked well.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.