Monday, November 6, 2017

Life In Black And White

Day 1

I am the last person to jump into any kind of challenge or quiz or game on Facebook or other social media outlets. But when I was tagged last week to participate in this Instagram photo challenge, I started that day. Maybe it was the challenge of making a good black and white photo. It's harder when there are no colors to work with. I had to think about lighting and composition, but without arranging things. I could only change the angle of the photograph. Maybe it was working within the limitations that was the tease. I was instructed to photograph "everyday life"—but without any explanations and without including any people

It was good fun and I encourage you to make a few black and white photos yourself. (Consider yourself tagged!) If you use Instagram, there are three black & white filters that easily change your normal smart phone photos to black and white. If you are not on Instagram, you'll likely find some B&W options in the photo edit function on your phone. (Still lost? Ask your grandchild for help.) It's a good way to find out more about using your phone as a camera.

This challenge forces you see your world through "new" eyes. It makes you search for beauty in everyday items or in your everyday life. There are plenty of days when we think nothing special happened. We moan about our dreary days. But there is always something worthy, something beautiful right in front of us. We just have to train ourselves to recognize it. 

Here are the photos from my "Seven day black & white photos of everyday life challenge. No explanation. No people."  

Day 2


Day 3


Day 4


Day 5


Day 6


Day 7

If you take this challenge, consider it a way to stretch your brain and stimulate your artistic senses. Make up your own version. A three day challenge works. Or, black & white photos only of people. Share your photos with others. Or not. This is mostly an exercise in creativity. And one simple enough for anyone to do.

It reminded me of keeping a gratitude journal several years ago. When I was doing that, I started to become more aware of what was around me as I searched for five things to list each day. It is so easy to fall into a rut of the routine. It is easy to give in to the awful things this we see each day on the news. But our world is too full of wonder for us to let that happen. Sometimes we just need a reminder to look for the good, for the beauty in the ordinary.


I have no words left for addressing another national tragedy. The only words that come to mind come from the Romantic poet William Wordsworth—"The world is too much with us." Today give an extra smile, an extra hug be kind. And take care of yourself.






4 comments:

  1. Indeed - look for the good. I rarely convert to B&W, but I enjoy seeing what other’s have done. I love the pumpkin one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, B&W is new to me (not counting years ago when it was ALL B&W) but this was a fun exercise. My own favorite is the pair of boots. My husband likes the All Saints candles. I love that we all like different ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos! I keep a gratitude journal, for all the reasons you mentioned. Nice post. Have a good day. Sending a virtual hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I don't keep the gratitude journal now, but I did it for long enough that the habit of looking for the small wonders has lasted. Sometimes it's a sight, a sound, or a smell (bacon frying, anyone?) and I'll think, "I could put this in my journal." Only now the journal is all in my head. It's a good habit I picked up. Thanks for the hug!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.