Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Fried Cabbage with Smoked Sausage

Fried Cabbage with Smoked Sausage

After a holiday weekend that included coconut cake and a splendid pumpkin pie where all the leftovers stayed at my house, we were in need of food that's more basic. And I needed quick. And easy. I have handbell practice tonight and won't get home until about 7:30.

This morning I remembered this recipe, but I had trouble finding it here. On my own blog. It's now listed in two places in the index—under MAIN DISHES, listed under both beef and turkey. Depends on which sausage you use. Remember, you can always use the search box at the top left. That's what I did. Searched for "cabbage" and this recipe was way down in the posts that came up. But I did find it.

So here is the recipe again. It might be new to you. Or, maybe like me, you had forgotten this one. It's delicious. And in my way of thinking, it's a one dish meal. It has three vegetables...cabbage, onion, and tomatoes. And the smoked sausage. Tonight that's the whole meal for us. If Daddy-O is lucky, he might get a slice of garlic bread with it.

We have figured out that we liked it better left over. So it was perfect for me to make this afternoon after errands so that dinner will be ready to heat when I get home tonight. You can make it in the morning. You can make it the night before. I love a flexible recipe.

FRIED CABBAGE with SMOKED SAUSAGE

3-4 tablespoons butter
1 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 package smoked sausage, sliced in rounds (my turkey sausage was 13 oz.)
1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes (or Rotel if you like spicy)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add cabbage and onion. Cook on medium-high for about 5 minutes, stirring to keep from sticking to pan. Add remaining ingredients. Cover. Lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

Serves about 6


Blog posts between now and Christmas will be done as I can find a few spare minutes. Not promising any kind of regularity. But don't give up on me! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.