Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cranberry Time


Let's see...in less than 48 hours this weekend, I attended a fabulous 'Holiday For Her' dinner, a wonderful baby shower, a college football game (we won!), spent some time with Baby Sister and taught Sunday School. It's a good thing I baked this cranberry bread earlier in the week to take to church this morning. It was my turn to bring something to go with the coffee.

I almost didn't share the recipe because the bread didn't slice very well this morning. I  was in a hurry and just grabbed a knife out of the drawer in the church kitchen. But tonight after supper, I cut a slice for us. When I used my serrated knife (using a sawing motion) it cut nicely. It tasted good this morning even though it looked a little crumbly.


This quick bread recipe is easy but you do have to pull out a couple of extra kitchen tools. I love my old glass juicer. I've owned all sorts of newer juicers, including an electric one, but I think this one works best.


But I like a newer tool for the easiest way to get fresh orange peel. A Microplane grater works magic. Be careful with it. It is surgically sharp. I like to wash it immediately after using it and put it right back into the plastic guard.

If you want to go a step beyond a box of cranberry bread mix (and I like that, too), give this recipe a try. Don't skimp on the orange peel. This recipe came from one of Baby Sister's NICU nurses. So glad we met Carole. For many reasons!

Cranberry Bread

Combine:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Add:
3/4 cup orange juice 
2 tablespoons cooking oil 
1 well-beaten egg
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest

Mix until blended.

Stir in:
1-1/2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Place in greased 9-inch loaf pan and bake about 55 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a rack.

It will slice better if it is made the day before you need it. Bake it, let it cool completely and wrap tightly and store overnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.