Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer Vegetables, Summer Storm

 

Like past summers, we are loaded with squash and zucchini again. So when I saw this recipe from Kraft for a grilled vegetable salad, I knew I had to try it. It was a different way to use up some of our garden harvest. It was delicious! (At least I loved, it--Daddy-O is not a fan of squash or zucchini.) I'll be making this again soon, maybe for our July 4th family gathering at the lake. It was such a nice change from salads with leafy greens. 


Little Sister was my garden helper yesterday morning. She picked the red tomatoes. And maybe one or two green ones. She also loves picking the leaves off the herbs. I had the very freshest mint tea in the afternoon. The leaves went straight from the plant to my glass. She told me she picked two and a half leaves. And that's exactly what she gave me.


Here is the salad we had for dinner last night. The flavors and colors of these vegetables were a perfect blend. And I loved the mix of textures. It's very lightly dressed so the taste of the vegetables and basil shine through. If you like squash, corn and zucchini, you need to try this. 

I only made minor changes to the original recipe, mostly to use what I had on hand. The original recipe did not call for brushing the vegetables with oil but Daddy-O usually does that when he grills vegetables for us, so he stuck to his usual method. It was really good and he didn't have to worry about anything sticking to the grill.

GRILLED GARDEN SALAD

2 ears of white corn, on the cob, husks & silks removed
2 small yellow squash, each cut lengthwise into 3 slices
2 small zucchini, each cut lengthwise into 3 slices
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup Italian dressing 
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Heat grill to medium-high heat.

Brush corn, squash and zucchini lightly with oil. Grill corn 15 minutes or until kernels are tender and browned, turning occasionally; cool slightly. Grill squash and zucchini about 5 minutes or until tender, turning halfway through grilling time.

Cut kernels off cobs. Place in medium bowl. Chop squash and zucchini. Add squash, zucchini and tomatoes to corn. Mix lightly.

Mix Italian dressing, lemon juice and garlic. Drizzle over vegetable mixture and mix lightly. Gently stir in Parmesan cheese and basil. (This salad does not require chilling.)

Serves 6-8

Edited to add: When we ate the leftover salad the next day, we decided we liked it better cold and after all the flavors had time to blend. And many times it would be easier to make it ahead. So, either way--warm or cold--will work. Both were good.


We were enjoying the vegetable salad and our favorite sloppy "jims" on the porch when a pop of lightening and loud thunder moved us quickly into the house. But the storm passed quickly and just after supper, this gorgeous rainbow appeared in the sky. 

Every time I see a rainbow it's a reminder. Of the story of Noah and God's promise. And of Maya Angelou's words — "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud."

A promise and a challenge. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.