Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Make And Take


I've made this so many times over the years that I don't have to go look up the recipe. It's as easy to remember as it is to make. A pound or so of lean ground beef and a tablespoon of four other things—a tablespoon of sweet (sugar), a tablespoon of sour (vinegar), and two tablespoons of savory (Worcestershire & mustard), and a cup of ketchup.

I've made huge amounts to feed kids at church. I've made a single recipe and put half in the freezer for the two of us. But I don't think I've ever made it to take to someone.  When I ran into a friend of Mommy's a few weeks ago in a doctors office, she ran to give me a hug and said, "I was thinking about you a few days ago while I was cooking. I've made your Sloppy Joe recipe so many times since you gave me the recipe." 

She went on to tell me that it was her favorite thing to make when she needed to take a meal to a family. These young moms are all good about taking dinner to a family when a new baby arrives. She said the sloppy joe meal was the best, especially when there were some older children in the family because they all liked it. Mommy's friend had just had a call from a dinner recipient saying, "My husband ate FOUR of these sandwiches last night! It was so good. It was such a help to get your good dinner." 

So make a batch (or double batch) and pack it up with buns, chips, maybe baked beans and slaw or veggies and dip and some cookies and you're ready to deliver an easy, delicious dinner to someone who needs a little help.

SLOPPY JOES

1 to 1-1/2 pound of lean ground beef
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 cup ketchup

Brown the meat. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve on toasted buns.


PS  Mommy makes this with ground turkey and calls it Sloppy Jims.

PPS  If you've tried Manwich and didn't like it, this is a totally different flavor. My recipe is usually liked by non-sloppy joe lovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.