Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Homemade Nuggets


Mommy called me a couple of days ago with a cooking question. I still get them from time to time, but not as often I used to, as both daughters become more experienced. She was planning some kind of oven baked chicken strips for dinner and discovered that she had the wrong cereal to use for the breading. She was asking about substitutions. 

I remembered a really good oven "fried" chicken recipe that I have used many times—just not in a long time. It's the one right on the back of the Bisquick box! I love this recipe because it's good and the ingredients are usually on my shelf. I photographed the recipe on the box with my smart phone and texted the photo to her. Just call me grandma gadget!  

Last night I cut my chicken more into nugget shapes, just because the thin-cut chicken breasts that I had seemed to lend themselves to that shape. Strips, nuggets...it doesn't matter. The recipe works. I know I needed something green on the plate, but beyond some wilted lettuce in the refrigerator, there just wasn't anything here. We'll eat green tomorrow.

Mommy said all of her family liked this recipe. We did, too. (Thanks for reminding me about this recipe, Mommy!) Give it a try and surprise your family who just might think that chicken nuggets only come from a drive-thru window.

ULTIMATE CHICKEN FINGERS
   ...adapted from the Bisquick box recipe

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb) cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
2/3 cup Original Bisquick mix
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used shredded)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or table salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 tablespoon butter, melted
  • Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil. In a 1-gallon ziplock bag, mix Bisquick, cheese, salt and paprika.
  • Put 3 tablespoon pat of butter on cookie sheet and place in oven to melt. Keep a close watch so it doesn't burn. Spread butter over bottom of sheet.
  • Dip half the chicken pieces into egg; place in bag. Seal bag and shake to coat. Place chicken on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
  • Bake 12-14 minutes, turning halfway through bake time. (Turning with tongs makes it easy.) Bake until there is no pink in the center, or temperature reaches 170 degrees.


As usual, I didn't follow the actual directions on the box—because I didn't read them completely. The above recipe is how I did it. You can find the official method on the box. These browned so nicely, that I'm happy with how I did it. I think another time, though, I might use cooking oil instead of butter just to see if that works.


This morning I photographed the morning sky from our back porch. I've been doing this for years. I am a morning person and our kitchen has huge windows that face the sunrise. I have done this in all seasons and in all sorts of weather. Always standing in the same spot. This morning, I'm pretty sure I saw a footprint in the sky. What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.