Monday, September 2, 2013

Yarn Paradise


Just so you know, I am married to the best husband ever. Today is Labor Day. We had been pretty close to home all weekend, but today the weather was perfect and the chores were (mostly) caught up. He suggested that we ride to the mountains to check out a wonderful yarn shop there that is sadly closing. Yep, his idea. I said I didn't really need to buy yarn. And he responded, "But you can't ever have too much yarn, can you?" His words.

Jessica and I have enjoyed browsing and shopping here many times. I hate to think today was my last trip. But I now have a stash of beautiful yarn. In the past I've tended to just buy something because maybe the color caught my fancy. This time, each set of yarn was bought with a specific project in mind. (I made a list. I'm learning.) Never mind that fact that it might take me five years to knit it all!


We enjoyed the ride in the mountains and found a new little bistro for lunch. It's nice to have another good choice. We spotted the Goodyear blimp floating over the interstate while we drove, probably the one that covered Saturday's football game we watched on TV. It's been a nice weekend.


Now, on to food. I don't think I've ever posted a recipe three times on this site. Until now. Why does this recipe rate a third post? It ranks high with me because it's so easy to make and extremely good. The last time I made it, I got home to find I had bought skinless chicken thighs WITH bones. I do know how to bone chicken pieces and I own a really sharp knife, so I did it myself. But if you can find them already boned, this becomes one of the easiest recipes ever. 

I've played around very slightly with the original recipe, so the recipe below is the exact way I made it this weekend. I think I'm stopping with this version. I have found the way we like it. But you may want to tinker with it to suit your folks. 

HOT & SWEET CHICKEN

1 cup pineapple preserves
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons minced garlic (from a jar)
1-1/2 teaspoons Tabasco
1 package boneless, skinless chicken thighs (6-8 thighs) 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, combine preserves, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic and Tabasco. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until preserves are melted.

Arrange thighs in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken, turning each piece to coat with sauce. Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minute or until done, spooning sauce over the chicken a time or two while baking. (I served this over brown rice.)


Glad I have a few quick recipes I can pull out when I'd rather be knitting than cooking. Just like this one.  Do you have a favorite for days when you'd rather be doing something else? I'd love to have to add to my collection. Looks like I'm going to be knitting for a while.



1 comment:

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.