Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Good Weekend



Pattern: Ombre Cowl Hood
Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze
Needles: Size 8, 24-inch circular

Jessica came home from the big city for the weekend. She had a couple of must-do things on her list, but mostly we just enjoyed having her home for a couple of days. She got to try on the new knit I had just finished for her. Now, we're waiting on cooler weather so she can enjoy it. She chose the pattern and yarn while we were out visiting Mommy and her family in August. The cowl is a simple knit, made special by the mohair yarn. I'm ready to start another one now for Mommy.


But much of our Saturday was spent in the kitchen. I had told Jessica that she was in charge of Saturday's dinner. I was more than happy to chop for her and to wash the dishes as we went along. She had made the menu and grocery list before she came home. We shopped from groceries yesterday after her errands. Shopping at a small town grocery store is an experience. We visited a lot as we went along. People who had known Jessica since she was little were happy to see her at home. This morning at church, someone asked, "Did you ever find the apple cider?" I love small towns.


There aren't many times I would want to spend this many hours in the kitchen, but cooking together yesterday was fun. We made a glorious mess. But it was so worth it. Daddy-O was happy to be the taste tester while he watched football. (His team won!)


Dark comes quickly now, but the weather is still mild enough to enjoy dinner on the porch. Both of our daughters live in different states from us. How good it is when we can be in one place.

I'll share some of Jessica's recipes as the week goes on. (I think Jessica is posting the recipes faster on her blog if you're in a hurry.) Tonight I'll give you the appetizer recipe. It was so easy. There is a little chopping required, but mostly it's just stirring things up.


If you need to take something to an office party, a birthday gathering or some other event, volunteer quickly to bring an appetizer and then make these. They are very simple to make. They can be made ahead of time. And they are one of the best appetizers we've tasted. (I learned ages ago to be one of the first to sign up before I'm stuck bringing something hard to make.)

We cut the recipe in half last night since there were just the three of us. That worked fine.

ROASTED RED PEPPER - BACON - GOAT CHEESE TRUFFLES

8-oz. plain goat cheese, softened
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
2 slices bacon, fried and chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup pistachios, chopped and crushed

In a bowl, combine softened goat cheese with peppers, bacon, garlic salt and pepper. Stir together until thoroughly combined. Roll goat cheese mixture into 1/2 to 1-inch balls, then roll in pistachios to coat. (If necessary, refrigerate mixture for 20-30 minutes to make it easier to roll balls.) Set on plate and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.          Makes 20-25 truffles


MASON JAR SALAD UPDATE: Someone said this morning that they were waiting to hear if the mason jar salads actually stayed fresh for five days. I made them on Tuesday and I ate the last one on Friday. It was so fresh that I have no doubt it would have lasted a few more days. I think most people are making them so they can it to work for lunch. We found them so handy to have here at home for our busy days—so they are not just for folks who need to pack a lunch. I'll be doing these again soon and will make more than four.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.