Monday, October 28, 2013

Getting Ready

I'm getting things ready to head west in a couple of days to visit Little Sister and Big Sister. (And their mommy and daddy.) Daddy-O is still on the mend, so I'm trying to make it easy for him while I'm away.


Yesterday I cooked stew beef & gravy. And while that was simmering, I popped Hot & Sweet Chicken in the oven to bake. That has to be the easiest recipe I know. I packaged everything for the freezer. He can pull out a meal size portion when he's ready. 


Today I made soup. This recipe came from one of my Ravelry friends in Tennesee. She said she likes to make it to freeze and to share. It's really easy (my friend says the hardest part is opening all the cans!) and it makes a ton. And it's good. Can't beat that combination.


I'll be gone less than a week. I may have gone a little overboard with the cooking.


SANTA FE SOUP

2-lb. extra-lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 onion, chopped
2 (.5 oz) packages Ranch-style dressing mix
2 (1.25 oz) packages taco seasoning mix
1 (16-oz) can black beans, undrained
1 (16-oz.) can kidney beans, undrained
1 (16-oz) can pinto beans, undrained
1 (16-oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 (16-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 (16-oz) cans white corn, undrained
2-3 cups water (more, if necessary)
garnish options:  sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, avocado chunks, cilantro, tortilla chips or strips, wedges of lime

Cook meat and onion together until meat is browned. Stir Ranch dressing and taco seasoning mix into meat. Add remaining ingredients WITH JUICES from all. Add water. Simmer for 2 hours. (If mixture is too thick, add additional water.) Garnish as desired.
Makes about 4 quarts. (It made a little more than that today.)


I put 3-1/2 quarts in the freezer and we had plenty for tonight's supper. I put up some in pints and some in quarts. Glad to know I won't have to cook time I get home next week. There's plenty of this in the freezer.

Maybe I should think about packing now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.