Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Early Morning Snuggles And Impossible Pie


Let's be honest. I am missing a lot of sleep doing this grandmother duty. It will be nice to sleep a little more when I get home. But I will miss the early morning time with Baby Girl and it's even better on the mornings that Little Sister wakes early and squeezes into the chair with us for a snuggle while we wait for Big Sister to get ready for school

My days here are winding down. I will miss having a lap full of babies every day. I will miss chatting with Big Sister while I drive her to school. But it is time to head back to the farm. I also miss Daddy-O. It has been a privilege to be here to help out for several weeks. (Or rather, a lot of weeks!) When the grandmother lives a thousand miles away from the grandchildren, the visits are few and far between, so this has been a rare time for us.

I have told Mommy that while I'm here for a few more days, she'd better take advantage of having a live-in baby sitter. So tonight she is going to her book club for the first time in months. The girls and I will have supper here.


I'm making an impossible pie tonight. I made these often when my girls where young. It is certainly not fancy food. It is just a basic good recipe that will fill up the children. I just need to put them to bed not hungry! They don't have to rave about the dinner.

If you google "impossible pie" you can find a zillion variations, both savory and sweet. I'm using the directions for the Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie. But to keep from dashing to the store for ground beef, I used a bag of Sloppy Joe meat mixture that was in the freezer. (In this house, it's made with ground turkey.) That meant I thawed instead of browning. Other than that, I've followed the directions exactly. I suppose technically that means we are having "Sloppy Joe Pie."


IMPOSSIBLY EASY CHEESEBURGER PIE

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup original Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9-inch glass pie plate with PAM.

In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until brown, breaking meat apart as you cook it. Drain. Stir in salt.

Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.

In a small bowl, stir milk, egg and Bisquick with a fork or whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate over meat and cheese.

Bake about 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes and clean. Let it stand for about 10-15 minutes before cutting.


These impossibly easy pies are such fun—the recipe makes its own crust like magic! For years, a very long time ago, I was a member of the Bisquick Club and received a newsletter with recipes and tips in the mail each month. My Bisquick usage has dwindled along with the amount of real mail I get now. But it is still a time saver when you need something quick. You might want to keep a small box or pouch on hand.

PS  Both girls asked for seconds of the "sloppy joe pie" tonight. That's as good a recommendation as you'll get!




3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the snuggle time. I think when you leave this time it will be especially difficult on Little Sister. It's been such a blessing on them to have had you there through all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just called my husband over to see the picture of Baby Girl's toes because those are his favorite kinds of pictures. He stood here looking over my shoulder smiling and counting one... two... three... four... five!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Please tell Mommy congrats from me. I know hospital bedrest is no fun and early babies are scary. I am sure that y'all are all glad to be on this side of things and everyone is home and healthy. New baby sister is precious.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.