Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Looking For Rhythm


It's been an adjustment. I keep trying to change gears in my car with the windshield wiper control. It's in the place where I DID change gears on Mommy's car. I have reached over the oven three times today to get my cutting board. That's where Mommy keeps her cutting board. Mine is under the sink. I have cut the oven off while trying to set the timer because I forgot how my own oven worked.

I am waking up at a different time, too, because I switched time zones. Sometimes it feels like I'm in the twilight zone as I work my way back into the routine here. After nearly three months out there, I am trying to get re-oriented here, trying to get back into the rhythm of a two-person household.

Since I was away for so long, the groceries were at an all-time low when I got home. It was a good time to clean the pantry before I shopped. I found things I had forgotten about. I figured I'd better find ways to use up the things that were nearing the date on the label. I set out the things that needed to be used soon. A bottle of barbecue sauce and a jar of salsa that I found were the start of tonight's supper, because I had just seen a recipe for Peach Pork BBQ Sliders on the Eat At Home blog. 


PEACH PORK BBQ SLIDERS 

2-1/2 to 3 lb pork roast or pork loin
16-oz bottle barbecue sauce
16-oz jar peach salsa (I used Archer Farms Pineapple/Peach salsa)

Put the roast in crockpot. Pour barbecue sauce and salsa over the top. Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours (or HIGH for 4-5 hours.)
Remove meat to pan and shred. Return meat to sauce in crockpot.

APPLE COLE SLAW

14-oz bag cole slaw mix
handful of chopped fresh parsley
1 apple, chopped
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 
salt & pepper to taste.

Toss cole slaw mix, parsley and apple in a large bowl. Measure oil in a glass measuring cup. Add sugar and vinegar and stir until sugar is dissolve. Pour over slaw mix and stir to combine. Refrigerate for a while to let flavors blend.

Serve BBQ topped with slaw on slider rolls (I used Sara Lee Dinner Rolls.)

There was plenty for our supper, some for lunch tomorrow and I put two quart bags of pork in the freezer for later.  The slaw was delicious—a lighter, fresher taste than the typical mayonnaise version.


My knitting brain is foggy, too. So until the fog lifts, I am working on the simplest project. This morning I started a pair of socks, using a plain "vanilla" sock pattern—it's just rows and rows and rows of plain knitting. No counting. No thinking. Just keep knitting. But this one is a little more fun because I found this fantastic self-striping watermelon yarn. It's from ArtisticYarnByAbi.etsy.com. 


Surely it won't be much longer until my brain and my body get in synch. In the meantime, I'll enjoy this  slowed down way of living. 


4 comments:

  1. That yarn is amazing! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parallels: we're both knitting with cheerful colors, we're both engaged in cleaning (pantry/closets) and the hands on the clock don't seem to govern sleeping/waking as they once did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying your site. I found this post because I clicked on the link you had for the apple slaw. The peach pork sliders looks delicious! I just bought slider buns, too, so thanks for sharing the recipe! I think my granddaughter will like them. And the watermelon yarn is cute and clever. Goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep poking around--there are other easy recipes here. My watermelon socks got put in time out while I have grandchildren here for the summer. But it's too hot for socks anyway!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.