Friday, May 2, 2014

Keeping It Simple


Things here are settling down as everyone adjusts to a new routine—one that involves a new baby. (Please let the 3:30 AM feeding pass quickly.) I love watching Little Sister care for her "baby" as she watches her mommy tend to Baby Girl. My own help is being needed less and less. I actually have a date for my return to the farm. But I will miss all of the girls here. Even the Bitty Baby!

Part of my grandmother duties while here helping out this young family has been getting supper on the table. Last night Mommy pulled a Pork Tenderloin with Herb Rub from the freezer. I just needed to make side dishes. Preferably without making another trip to the store. 

When I checked the pantry, I saw a can of pineapple chunks and I though about this recipe. Although I had not made it in years, I remembered how good it was. This used to be standard at covered dish dinners. Maybe it's time for a come-back. 

My photo is not terrific because I didn't think about making one until after supper. This one little bowl full was all that was left after everyone had seconds.


BAKED PINEAPPLE

1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 (20-oz) can of pineapple chunks in juice, drained (reserve some of the juice)
3 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice
1/2 cup crushed Ritz cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Butter a 1 quart baking dish. (Mine was 6 x 9-inches)
In a bowl, stir together sugar and flour, then stir in cheese. Add the drained pineapple chunks and stir until well mixed. Pour into baking dish.

In another bowl, combine cracker crumbs, melted butter and reserved pineapple juice. Stir gently until combined. Spread crumb mixture over pineapple mixture.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.

This can be easily doubled.


When Mommy is fully in charge of meals in a couple of weeks, she can add this easy recipe to her repertoire. She's going to need every trick in the book to get supper on the table for a while. She is already good about cooking double and freezing a meal for later. Hopefully she will find other easy recipes here on my blog. It's one way I can help from afar.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.