Sunday, June 29, 2014

Life With A Little


I had forgotten what life with a three-year-old in residence is like. I was a stay-at-home mom, so I'm sure this is what I did. I remember it was hard sometimes, but I have forgotten the specifics. Little Sister is at the "why" stage of life. Last night we had turkey for dinner. "What is this?" "Turkey," I answered. "Why?" "Because it's not chicken." "Why?" All day long. But the tiresome parts (that would be answering the "why" question about 47 times a day) are balanced by the fun parts.

"Mimi, you need to make more hummingbird juice." Our hummingbird feeder was empty.

"Have you seen the light flash?" That took me a while, after scanning the pasture at dusk, to figure out she wanted a flashlight.

"Ugh! Baby just "bless you'd" all over me. I can see "bless you" on my arm!" Always the first to say "bless you" when someone sneezes, Little Sister thinks that's what you call a sneeze.

She keeps it interesting, for sure.

Nearly all of our meals have been here at home this summer. Taking Little Sister and three-month-old Baby Girl is way more effort than cooking a meal. But I have looked for quick meals, easy meals and kid-friendly meals.

This recipe was a favorite of out girls when they were growing up. And Little Sister got excited when she found out we were having it for dinner a few nights ago. She loves it as much as they did. Not fancy, but if you are feeding kids, give it a try.

The recipe came from a magazine ad for Kraft barbecue sauce and Hungry Jack biscuits. A magazine ad from years and years ago. The name was Barbecue Flat Jack, so named (I think) because of the Hungry Jack biscuits. Well, over the years, in our house it morphed into Barbecue Flapjack. And so we just call it that now even though it has nothing to do with pancakes!


BBQ FLAPJACK

1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
1/4 chopped onion
1/2-3/4 cup barbecue sauce (you don't want the meat "soupy")
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (10-count) can of flaky biscuits

Preheat oven to 375 degreese. In large skillet, brown ground beef and onion. Drain. Stir in BBQ sauce and Tabasco. Simmer while preparing crust.
Separate biscuits and place into an ungreased 9x13-inch baking dish to make a crust. Press over bottom and 1 inch up the sides to form crust.
Spread hot meat mixture over dough. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until crust is golden brown.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.