Friday, October 24, 2014

I Needed Chocolate

Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins

I feel a little bad sharing a recipe here that I probably would never serve to you. They taste good, but because of the unique ingredients, they kind of fall apart easily. But there are times when you might need this recipe. As muffins go, these aren't going to win a prize. But they have a place in your recipe box. I promise I'm never sharing a recipe I don't like!

I still haven't been grocery shopping. (I'm going today after my doctor appointment. Maybe.) So the items in my pantry are still limited. I hunkered down yesterday trying to shake this sinus-y thing. But all day I craved chocolate. And there was none here. Then last night I remembered a recipe we used to make often. In fact, it was the very first recipe I posted on this blog. PUMPKIN SPICE MUFFINS.

So I made a chocolate version. Not bad. Not bad at all. Because there is no egg in the recipe, they have a tendency to fall apart. I found they needed to cool completely in the pan before I could get them out intact. That's why I probably wouldn't serve you one. Big Sister used to make the spice variety often and she liked to make mini muffins which hold together better. Yes, the mini-muffins are the best way to do these. But last night I wanted easy. One pan of regular size muffins was all I could manage.

We started using this recipe when Big Sister had some food sensitivities and had to cut egg whites and soy from her diet. (Thankfully, she has outgrown these sensitivities.) And that pretty much eliminated all baked goods. Except this recipe. There is also no oil used in the recipe. So if you need to cut out eggs or if you are avoiding oils/fats, this is good choice.

I still like the spice version with the streusel topping best. But these were last night good with a cup of tea. And with a cup of coffee at breakfast this morning. After all, they're chocolate! How could they be bad?

CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN MUFFINS

1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Devil's Food)
1 (15-oz.) can of pumpkin
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
Mix the cake mix, pumpkin and water thoroughly. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into well-greased muffin tins. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in pan before removing.  (You might need to adjust your baking time if making mini-muffins.)

How easy is that?


Update: One injection and two prescriptions this morning--I should be on the mend quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.