Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Impossible Supper

Impossibly Easy Barbecue Beef Pie

The prospects for supper tonight were looking dim. It was looking like a supper at home was not gonna happen. It seemed impossible. I came home from our trip with a raging sinus problem. The kind where your eyeballs hurt. All I have wanted to do is curl up under a blanket and sit still. 

Daddy-O has been good about not asking me to cook anything. We've had supper from local restaurants—both of them—already this week. And I just couldn't ask him to do that again. Since I have not been to the grocery store since we got home, my cooking options, like my energy, were limited. 


But then I remembered the Impossible pies I used to make fairly often. I did have cooked ground beef in the freezer. There were two eggs and shredded cheese in the refrigerator. Bisquick and a bottle of barbecue sauce were waiting in the pantry. And since I was out of milk, I used evaporated milk. (You should always keep a small can or two of that on hand.) 1/2 cup evaporated milk + 1/2 cup water = 1 cup milk. Works fine for cooking.


Since the only onion left in the pantry needed to be thrown out, I used a few good shakes of instant minced onion from a bottle that stays on the spice shelf. It was ready for the oven in minutes.



IMPOSSIBLY EASY BARBECUE BEEF PIE
1 lb. lean ground beef.
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1-1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (divided)
1 cup Original Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
additional barbecue sauce, if desired.

Heat oven to 400°F. Grease bottom and side of 9-inch pie plate with shortening or spray with PAM.

In 10-inch skillet, cook beef, bell pepper and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in 1/3 cup barbecue sauce. Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the cheese.

In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk and eggs until blended. Pour over beef mixture.
Bake uncovered 25 minutes.

Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake about 5 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.

According to the online recipe from Betty Crocker:
"Savory Impossibly Easy Pies can be covered and refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking. You may need to bake a bit longer than the recipe directs since you’ll be starting with a cold pie. Watch carefully for doneness."
These pies are fun to make. They taste good. And they use things you usually have on hand. You can make dessert pies, breakfast pies, meat pies and vegetable pies. Just do a Google search for Bisquick Impossible pies. The "impossible" part is the fact that you don't need to make a crust. The milk, eggs and Bisquick make a crust as it bakes. Works for me!

So what did Daddy-O think about the supper? (Other than he was happy to have one.) He declared it, "Really good." "You can make this again." I'm glad, because supper tomorrow night will be leftovers.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, that looks delicious! It reminds me of something similar that I do with beef and taco seasoning with a cornbread mixture on top. My granddaughter might like to try your version. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.