Friday, April 1, 2016

Music Making


It's the day we look forward to for a whole year—Arts Day at one of the local schools. For years now, my music buddy and I have brought "live music" up close and personal to young children. There are artists of all sorts that participate in Arts Day. Painters, dancers, actors, wood carvers, storytellers, quilters and more. We are happy to be included.

So many children now have very little exposure to music beyond television or an iPod, so seeing someone three feet away from them play an instrument is a new experience. They are usually excellent listeners.


So why do we really look forward to this day so much? One big reason is that we get to spend a little time practicing the songs before the event. For a music maker, there isn't anything much better than time spent playing songs with a friend.


Well, this year's set list is now tucked into my ukulele case with lists from all the other years. It's a nice reminder of how long we've been doing this. And next year, if we can't think of what songs to play, I'll pull all of this out again.


Although I was really looking forward to doing this, Little Sister didn't think it was such a good idea. I was at her house for a few days this week and headed home the day before the school program.  On the last night when I bent down for a goodnight hug, she wouldn't let go. "Don't go, Mimi!" 

I thought she meant go away from her bed. But she didn't want me to leave her house. I told her I had promised to play music for the school children. She told me,"Find some other lady to play. You stay here!" 

It's nice to be wanted.






4 comments:

  1. ¡ooʇ 'ʎɐp s,looɟ lıɹdɐ ʎddɐɥ ¿ƃuıɥʇ ʇsǝʇǝǝʍs ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʇ ʇ,usı ˙ʇɹɐǝɥ ʎɯ ʇɐ pǝƃƃnʇ ʇsnɾ noʎ oʇ ʇuǝɯɯoɔ s,ɹǝʇsıs ǝlʇʇıl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promised her I would go back soon. And you know I will!

      Delete
  2. Making music with a friend and sharing it with children - what could be better! Being loved so much is pretty special, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day in every possible way.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.