Friday, March 16, 2018

Life In The Fast Lane


It's been one of those weeks. Each morning for the last seven days, I've need to stop and think, "What day of the week is it? Where am I today?" It's been good things that kept me on the move, but thankfully this morning I'm back in "my" spot on the sofa. Coffee beside me in "my" cup. With nothing out of the ordinary on my calendar for at least a week. Remarkable. And most welcomed. Here's a quick recap of why I am behind on blogging.


I had the good fortune to spend a few days at the beach with long-time friends. It's an annual trip that we all look forward to each year. Fresh seafood twice a day. A little shopping. And this year, a marathon viewing of A Place To Call Home. That's an Australian TV show set in the 1950s. Such a good show that we watched it until late at night and on our last morning there, everyone was up early to watch a few more episodes until it was time to leave. The TV watching is not a typical activity for us, but the show is that good. FYI, it's available on Acorn TV and is broadcast on some PBS stations. I also found that you can purchase it by the season or episode on iTunes.

I got home Sunday night and left on Monday morning for the big city. The wedding is only six weeks away. This trip was for the wedding gown fitting. She's going to be a beautiful bride! While I was there, we visited Jessica's very good friend and her very new baby—less than a week old the day we stopped by. This is one of the babies who came home from the hospital wearing one of the little hats that I knitted.


We also took the sleep-deprived new mom a meal. Jessica made our favorite bourbon marinated pork tenderloin and packaged it ready to pop into the oven. The meal also included orzo spinach salad, sourdough bread, chicken salad with a bag of good crackers, and blueberry muffins. Jessica included printouts of all the recipes, too. I've never thought of doing that. But if they love the food, they will have the recipe and if they have any food issues, they can see the ingredients. What a good idea!


Then I took the long way around from one daughters' house to the other daughter's house so that I could meet a friend at Eat. Sleep. Knit. It's the biggest yarn shop I've ever been to. Worth battling the morning commuter traffic and the extra couple of hours of driving.


And I managed to get to the next stop in time to have a late lunch with Baby Girl. When she found out I was coming, she told her mommy that "Mimi makes my heart happy." Then as she tapped her chest she said, "My heart beats Mimi...Mimi...Mimi." The next morning I was there to get her breakfast and in her almost-four-years-old manner of speaking, she told me, "I'd like an apple for breakfast. But take the red off the back." She's growing so fast. I'm going to miss her preschooler way of phrasing things.


I left that house right after breakfast to get home in time for a big event here last night. The Spotlight On Agriculture banquet is the largest event of its kind in our state. At this 44th annual dinner, Daddy-O received two awards—Cattleman Of The Year and the M. L. Ouzts Memorial Outstanding Extension Supporter Of The Year. Other awards were presented in the areas of forestry, poultry, dairy, horticulture, 4H and FFA and the Farm Family Of The Year was recognized. The entire evening is a huge reminder that our food does not originate at Publix or Kroger. The nearly 400 people attending last night know that, but we were reminded that it's important to tell our story to others,


After driving nearly 1,000 miles (on seven different interstates) this week,  
I'm glad to be home. 





10 comments:

  1. A Place to Call Home was on for several seasons on my Public Television. Interesting characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on now on one of our PBS stations but I had never managed to find season 1. And this is a show best watched from the beginning.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering if i had missed a wedding report. Exciting times ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting, indeed! I'm sure there will be a post-wedding report. :-)

      Delete
  3. It is always so lovely to go for a visit. But home is where we can breathe deep and relax. Glad you had a nice trip. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I did and everyone I saw was special. But I was really happy to get home and be able stay put for a few days.

      Delete
  4. So much fun happenings I don't even know which to comment on. Love that you are your friends get together each year- that is something so priceless.
    Including recipes along with care-package foods is a brilliant idea! I am going to steal it.
    You must tell us about what you picked up at Eat.Sleep.Knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eat.Sleep.Knit. is overwhelming! So many choices it's hard to know where to start looking.

      Delete
  5. You had a fabulous week. I hope we get to see wedding pictures. I've got to see A Place to Call Home after visiting Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several good Australian TV shows on PBS. We enjoy them all.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.