Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Oh, Boy! It's A Baby!

Pattern:  See below
Yarn:  Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerion, Silver color way
Needles: size 6 

There's a baby shower this weekend. I won't be able to go because I'll be headed to a knitting retreat for a few days of knitting and visiting with friends that I look forward to seeing each year. But I can send a little bit of "me" to the party—something I've knitted just for this baby.


So I set aside the big project I've been working on for weeks. Only three inches to go. Right now it looks like a big lumpy pile of yarn. When it's done and I've completed the finishing process, it will be a different creature altogether. At least that's the plan.


Yesterday morning while pulling out knitting to pack for the retreat, I found a single skein of gray yarn. I knew the mom-to-be had chosen gray and navy for her baby boy colors. So I stopped the white knitting and cast on a baby hat. And I was done before supper. These quick projects are just the best. They are like the bite of sorbet served between courses as a palate cleanser. Adult hats are quick, but it's only the baby hats I can make in an afternoon.

I make sure that for babies—actually, for the new mom—that I choose a yarn that isn't fussy. I like the ones that can go into the washing machine. I do lay them out flat to dry, but that's easy enough with a tiny little hat. My current favorites are Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino and Rowan Baby Merino Silk DK.

It's the most basic pattern. So basic that experienced knitters could make it without a pattern. Here is what I do:
Materials:
DK or Sport yarn
Size 6 needle, both a 16-inch circular and a set of DPNs
Cast on 72 stitches. Join. Knit in the round for 5 to 5-1/4 inches from cast on edge.
Begin decreases:
    K2tog, K6 around to marker
    K2 tog, K5 around
    K2tog, K4 around, etc
    (Switch to DPNs when you need to.)
When there are 5 stitches left on needles, knit I-cord for about 6 rows. Work two K2tog to leave 3 stitches, then cut yarn and run tail through those 3 stitches. Take yarn down through inside of "stem" and work in the yarn end.

I just realized as I typed out these directions that I didn't exactly follow what I wrote this time. This was a car knitting project yesterday and I didn't have the pattern with me. And the hat is still okay. I love that kind of pattern.

Today it's time to get back to the big project. How fabulous would it be to finish it before I leave for the retreat? If I do, will I be brave enough to take it for show and tell? I don't know yet. Surely don't want to risk anything that could happen to it. But I'll admit I'd love to show it off to a group of knitters. If I sit here long enough writing, maybe I won't be quite done and I won't need to make that decision. :-)


Today is the first full day of spring. Yesterday felt like spring. Today feels more like winter again. I wish Mother Nature would make up her mind!





4 comments:

  1. Hat is so cute! I gave presentations as part of my job, too, and generally the audiences were not too friendly, so public speaking is not my phobia, either. And I kept a cell phone way too long a number of years ago to amortize my investment. I learned to trade them before the model is totally outmoded. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I usually had happy audiences. I was doing food demonstrations, interior design workshops, etc. I even did several napkin folding presentations right before I stopped working. Those were fun sessions!

      Delete
  2. I do not knit. Is it weird that a knitting retreat sounds wonderful to me? It just sounds relaxing and peaceful. Thank you for sharing this wonderful little project though. I have a daughter who knits. I will have to share with her. Enjoy your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so not weird that the retreat idea appeals to you. A few days in the company of pleasant women with a common interest. No cooking or cleaning. No computers or phones. (There is very limited cell service.) I come home refreshed. There are similar gatherings for nearly every interest. Right across the river from our farm, there is a huge weekend get-together of pilots. About 600-700 small planes fly in for a long weekend. Truly. There is something out there for everyone. Look for one.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.