Saturday, March 24, 2018

Knitting Retreat Cookies


I'm in the process of packing for my favorite knitting retreat. It's my favorite because it was the first knitting retreat I ever attended. Since then, I've found others and I love them all. Each one has it's own flavor. And it's the differences that make them all fun.


One thing all the retreats have in common is the snack table. Everyone brings something to add to the mix. Often now the table is filled with fresh fruit and healthy nuts and assorted teas. I've surely taken apples. But I've also taken these cookies to all the retreats I've been part of—except this one.

At a retreat last year on the second day, the retreat leader asked, "Who brought this container?" as she waved the plastic Gladware in the air. It was mine. She added, "This is the first container on the table to be emptied!" It was the container I brought full of these cookies.


It's a great recipe to add to your collection. I've made it so many times. My daughter ("Mommy" here on the blog) has probably made it even more times. I found the recipe years and years ago in the Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook I received in the early 70s. It's not in the cookie section. It's behind the tab labeled "Easy Meals."


The actual name is Glorified Grahams, but around here they are beginning to be known as "those knitting retreat cookies."


GLORIFIED GRAHAMS

24 graham cracker squares, divided into "sticks"(that's about two packs from the box)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

Line a 15-1/2x 10-1/2x1-inch pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Break crackers into individual sticks. Then line up the the graham crackers on the bottom of the pan. Melt butter and mix in brown sugar. Spoon over graham crackers and spread to cover if necessary. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. Let cool. Break apart.


I lift the foil from the pan to easily remove cookies. One pan of these fills an 8-inch square foil pan if you are taking them somewhere. This time I only had a 9x13-inch foil pan on hand. It worked pretty well, too.


If you notice that the recipe pictured says "Makes 24" it's because the original recipe called for leaving the graham crackers in squares. We always break those squares in half to get more cookies.

Now I'm headed to finish packing. I'm about to shut down this computer for the next week. I have the knitting things sorted and bagged. But I need to make sure I pack the suitcase. And actually put it in my car in the morning! On my first time there...I went to the retreat—my suitcase didn't. Long story. But I made a trip to Walmart and managed to get by for a few days. I don't plan for that to EVER happen again!







2 comments:

  1. By the time I got to them, there was nothing left with the nuts! And they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you didn't get any! But I'll tell you a secret...we save the nuts that fall off (and some will) for an ice cream topping. So good to see you this week.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.