Monday, March 12, 2018

Baking Bagels For Breakfast


First, let me tell you—go to the Skinny Taste blog and see her post of this recipe. I don't know if she "invented" the recipe, but it's where I first saw it. Plus, she has a video. She also includes many tips, including making gluten-free bagels and using an air fryer. I just made the basic ones in the oven.

Bagels. With 2 ingredients. Yogurt and flour. Those are the main ingredients, anyway. If we're honest there are some minor ingredients used here, too. If you google "yogurt bagel," you'll see a bunch of places where the recipe is posted. Most call for self-rising flour and non-fat Greek yogurt, so many of these recipes are labeled "2 Ingredient Bagels."


Now I am lots older than the SkinnyTaste blogger. These bagels are the hot thing going around the internet and in Weight Watchers circles now, but this recipe reminds me of the simple mayonnaise biscuits, and if you don't mind adding a third ingredient (which is 2 sticks of butter) they are similar to the very delicious sour cream muffins we've made for years. My grandmother made the mayonnaise biscuits, so the concept has been around for a very long time. They are most like "ice cream bread" which I've never made, but it's another old recipe. Those recipes all call for self-rising flour, plus one or two other ingredients. I followed SkinnyTaste's lead and used all-purpose flour and added my own baking powder and salt.


The Greek yogurt and flour make a soft dough that can be shaped into circles and baked for a bagel-looking treat. The circle shape makes it fun. It is not chewy like a bagel but it was good. And I like that it only makes four. Of course, you can double it if you want more.


As I said, it seems to be popular in Weight Watchers land. 3 Freestyle points per bagel. Not counting the butter or cream cheese you slather on it. The points are according SkinnyTaste. I didn't calculate myself. But whether you are "counting points" or not, it's a good recipe. Fun to make. Fun to eat.


If you bake these cute little treats for breakfast, allow enough baking and cooling time. The mixing and shaping is really quick. But it takes about 35 minutes for baking and then cooling before slicing. More time than you might think.

YOGURT BAGELS

1 cup all-purpose flour*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1 egg white, lightly beaten
desired topping**, such as everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, cinnamon sugar, etc.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with Silpat baking mat or parchment paper. (Lightly spray paper with PAM if you need to.)

Combine flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well to blend. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork until well combined. It might still be a little crumbly.

Lightly flour working surface. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead about 15 times.
Divide dough into four equal parts. Roll each ball into rope, about the thickness of your thumb. Join the ends and pinch together to make a circle.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with topping. Repeat on other side.

Bake on top rack for 25-26 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.

*Can use self-rising flour and omit the baking powder and salt.
**I used Trader Joe's Everything But The Bagel seasoning. 


If you have the time and inclination, you can read a zillion other blog posts about this recipe and see all the variations folks have come up with. Bagel bites. Pizza crust. Rolls. I always find it interesting, too, to read about variations in the basic recipe. One cup flour. One and an eighth cup flour. If using plain flour, add 2 tsp. baking powder...except for the people who add 1-1/2 teaspoons. That pretty much tells me that it's not the kind of recipe where things need to be precise. I followed the recipe I gave you here. I haven't tried it with self-rising flour yet. But I will. I did find that I need to bake mine a minute longer to get a good brown color. And the inner texture was fine that way.

Use your eye. Trust your touch. If you think it needs a bit more flour, it might. All ovens bake differently, so your baking time may vary a little. I will make these again for certain and try another topping.






4 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds so easy. I always thought that bagels probably took hours to make. I guess not. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understand that these are more “bagel shaped” bread than a true bagel. But still good and fun to make. Give them a try. I’ll surely make them again.

      Delete
  2. Saving for when I am off Whole 30!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are definitely not Whole 30! Check out my daughter's blog for lots of good Whole 30 recipes. They have found many of the recipes that will be part of their regular menus. http://jessicasutton.tumblr.com

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.