Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sheet Pan Teriyaki Salmon with Asparagus


I have been staying the course for the last few weeks. Working diligently on the knitting that has a deadline. I am inches away from the finish. If there had not been the need to "knit backwards" a couple of times, I would be really near the end. But unknitting is part of the process. No "it's close enough" this time. I want this to be done correctly because this is a special project. So I take out stitches when I need to and reknit them.

Now, even though I've knitted lots every day, I cannot sit still for too long at a time because it's bad for my back, bad for my hands, and bad for my concentration. So during these knitting weeks, I've taken frequent breaks. To do laundry. To clean house. To declutter. Clearing away the cobwebs in the corners has the added benefit of clearing away cobwebs in my head.

For the last couple of years, I've been up and down the highway many times, never staying home for many weeks in a row. But I've only been gone a couple of days since Christmas. And it's March already! Because I've spent several weeks in a row here at home, I've noticed things that I've conveniently ignored up until now.

These last few weeks I've cleared bookshelves. Emptied drawers. Dusted corners. Cleaned closets. Thrown away. Given away. And I hate to admit it but I finally put away the last Christmas decorations. The house feels like it can breathe again. I imagine I could go through the same shelves and drawers and cabinets and do it all over again and find more things to eliminate. But this is a good start.

Of course I've cooked. We have to eat. But I've looked for quick, easy meals. I didn't want to spend lots of time cleaning up after supper either. One pot meals. Sheet pan dinners. Instant pot cooking. It's all good.

Last week I borrowed an idea from daughter Jessica. I followed her directions but used what I had on hand here to cook salmon in the oven. (Check out her blog for many good healthy recipes. Lots of Whole30 things, too.)

SHEET PAN TERIYAKI SALMON with ASPARAGUS

2 salmon filets (I used frozen filets, thawed overnight in fridge)
1/2 bunch fresh asparagus, washed & trimmed
olive oil
*house seasoning (or use a mix of salt, pepper, garlic powder)
bottled teriyaki sauce

Preheat oven to 425ยบ.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up. Place asparagus on baking sheet. (For best results, be sure your asparagus is dry before you roast it.) Drizzle a little olive oil over vegetables. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with house seasoning. Arrange in single layer on one end of pan. Roast for 10 minutes.

Take pan from oven, turn asparagus over. Put salmon filets on other end of pan. Drizzle olive oil over filets. Sprinkle with house seasoning. Put pan back in oven and continue roasting for another 15 minutes, or until salmon is done. Brush salmon with teriyaki sauce when it comes out of the oven. (Next time I think I'll brush some on a few minutes before it's done.)


Bam! Supper is served. To finish out the plate, I zapped a bag of frozen Green Giant cauliflower risotto medley. Five minutes in the microwave and a minute to rest and it was ready. Y'all...a one cup serving of this risotto has 20 calories. A cup of white rice has 206 calories. Brown rice has 216. And we thought the riced cauliflower was good. Good enough that I'll be sure to keep some on hand.

~~~~~~

I always keep a jar of house seasoning on the shelf. Sometimes I make a big batch. Most times I make it in this smaller proportion.

 *House Seasoning:  
1/4 cup salt 
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. garlic powder

Mix well. Store in an air-tight container, such as an empty spice bottle or small jar. 








2 comments:

  1. I will loan my 5 year old grandson, Sam, to you if you need a spider web finding expert. Every time he visits, he seems to find another web. Also, he sometimes looks under beds and bureaus and finds dust balls. Perhaps he'll be an sanitary control expert when he grows up! Glad your knitting project is almost finished. We're having tuna on the grill tonight and asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, my youngest granddaughter will be four in a few weeks. I think she and would be good friends. She also looks in and under and misses nothing!

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.