Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mommy Cooks


I was so happy to find this photo in my emails this morning. And then the next email with the recipe. I've had no recipes to share this week. The kitchen in my house must be out of order. (It must be the kitchen-- it couldn't be me, could it?)  The best supper I had here all week was a bowl of Cheerios. I kept thinking about grocery shopping but I just never actually went to the store. We pulled leftover pizza out of the freezer last night. Sad.

One afternoon this week when Baby Sister was here, she had fun pulling cookbooks off the shelf in the kitchen. When Mommy was picking them up, she found Busy Moms Weeknight Favorites (an old Southern Living cookbook) in the pile. I told her since she is the "busy mom" now, to take it home with her.

So happy that she is actually using the cookbook. She made this for their supper last night and said the recipe is a "keeper." So I am delighted to have her recipe to share. Who knows....maybe we will have it for supper tonight. If the kitchen "works."

SAUTÉED TILAPIA WITH LEMON-PEPPERCORN SAUCE

1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. drained brine-packed green peppercorn, lightly crushed
6 tsp., butter or margarine, divided
2 tsp. vegetable oil
4 (6-oz.) tilapia or sole fillets
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 all-purpose flour
lemon wedges (optional)

1. Combine first three ingredients; set aside.
2. Melt 2 tsp. butter with oil in a large skillet over low heat.  While butter melts, sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.  Place flour in a shallow dish.  Dredge fillets in flour, shaking off excess flour.
3. Increase heat to medium-high; cook the butter and oil mixture 2 minutes or until butter turns golden brown.  Add fillets to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes with a fork.  Remove fillets from pan.
4. Add broth mixture to pan, scraping to loosen browned bits.  Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to about 1/2 cup.  Remove from heat.  Stir in remaining 4 tsp. butter with a whisk.  Spoon sauce over fillets.  Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

Makes 4 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook:12 minutes

MOMMY'S NOTES:
I was unable to find brine-packed green peppercorns, so I substituted ground green peppercorn.
- I substituted house seasoning* for salt and pepper.
- We served this with quinoa and steamed broccoli.

*House Seasoning: 4 tbsp. salt, 1 tbsp. ground black pepper, 1 tbsp. garlic powder. Mix. Store in an airtight container.


1 comment:

  1. Yum!

    We have unhappy tummies, so homemade chicken soup is simmering in the crockpot for tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.