Sunday, March 3, 2013

Come On, Try It! You'll Like It

Mommy made this brussel sprout recipe when we were out there last fall. Last night I tried it for myself. It is so very, very good. And easy to make. And healthy. (Unlike the only other brussel sprouts I've ever liked--that involved about a pound of bacon.) You'll have another green vegetable to add to your family's meals. We're working on eating more and more vegetable here. This is a new favorite.


CARAMALIZED BRUSSEL SPROUTS

12-14 large brussel sprouts
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove, garlic, minced
pinch sea slat
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans, toasted

Slice each brussel sprout very thin until you have a feathery mound of brussels sprout "ribbons." Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute garlic for 30 seconds. Add the brussel sprouts and continue sauteing for another 4-5 minutes, until bright green and tender. Add the sea salt and brown sugar and toss together. Finish by adding the toasted nuts.

3-4 servings

Just for fun....  Anyone remember this episode of Leave It To Beaver?  If someone in your family feels the same way about brussel sprouts, try the caramalized version. They don't even look like brussel sprouts on your plate. See if anyone in your family even knows what they are eating.


Don't you wish TV still had shows like this?

Well....since I opened the bag of brown sugar last night to make the brussel sprouts, I figured I might as well try this recipe today. My "I don't eat squash" husband went back for seconds. When Daddy-O eats any kind of squash, it's a good recipe.



CARAMALIZED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
                 
1 medium butternut squash, (2 to 2-1/2 lb)
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut off ends of squash and discard. Peel the squash, cut them in half crosswise (skinny part/fat part), then each of those parts in half, length wise.  Cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes.

Add the melted butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper. With clean hands, toss all ingredients until evenly coated. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze is beginning to caramalize. Toss occasionally while roasting to be sure it browns evenly.

Serve hot.   3-4 servings



Cutting up a butternut squash is not as much trouble as you might think. If you've never done it before, check out this tutorial from Pioneer Woman. It helps to see her photos. You can buy pre-cut butternut squash if your store carries it. I wish mine did. My small town store doesn't, so I had to do it myself.


1 comment:

  1. Pecans make everything better! We got about 2 minutes of of snow, lovely flakes, but blink and you missed them!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.