Friday, July 18, 2014

Supper's In The Oven


Getting supper on the table every night has been a challenge this summer. Cooking with an almost four-year-old's helping hands means it's hard to do anything quickly. So I am sticking with easy recipes. I looked through my own blog and found several recipes I had completely forgotten about. I was surprised at how many good recipes I have collected over the years. I need to go back through all of them.


Tonight I made fajitas--the easy way. There is a Mexican restaurant in town, but loading up a preschooler, a baby, and all the stuff a baby requires is work. It was easier to eat here. Maybe not as authentic, but delicious none the less!

OVEN BAKED FAJITA

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (cut against "the grain)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 (10-oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (I used Rotel Mild)
1 medium onion, cut into thin strips
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken strips in a greased 9x13-inch baking dish.

In a small bowl (I used a custard cup) combine the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, orgegano and salt. Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat. Add the undrained tomatoes, peppers and onions to the dish. Stir to combine.

Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Stir about halfway through the cooking time.


We folded this up into whole wheat tortillas, with sour cream, lettuce, cheese and salsa. This time I used thin-sliced breasts. It works with regular or thin-sliced but I do think I liked the thinner ones best.


Our summer is beginning to wind down and we adding in a few extra activities before the children (big and little) head back home. Yesterday we went to the zoo. Little Sister said she loved the monkeys and the zebras best. Baby Girl mostly enjoyed her ride in the stroller. 

And Little Sister is taking swimming lessons, too. Her Aunt Jessica has just been certified as a SCUBA diver. Little Sister's challenge is learning to put her head underwater. Baby Girl's water activity is all in the baby bathtub. Big Sister called from camp this morning. She says it is so fabulous that she wants to stay forever! Now I know she will be glad to see everyone in another week, but I am happy that she is having such a good time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.