Thursday, April 9, 2015

Ham 'N Cheese Supper Bread


It was midweek and there was only one slice of ham left from our Easter dinner. I thought it might have lasted longer. Part of the leftovers were packed up and sent back with the city "kids." And we certainly enjoyed the ham—ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and potato salad, ham sandwiches. Well, I guess we did eat that much. Last night there was just one slice left.

I remembered a recipe from long years ago, back when my "Dinner For Two" cookbook still made one serving too many. In the 40+ years since then, hundreds of cookbooks have passed through my kitchen. I would give them away when I was done with them. But I saved this one. There were several good recipes in it that I had made. So here we are full circle. I am back to cooking for a small household. This time, happily it IS for two!

Tonight I made Ham 'N Cheese Supper Bread. Since it had a little meat in it, the rest of the meal was all vegetables. I served it with oven roasted vegetables and butter peas (cooked from a bag of frozen peas.) It was a very good middle-of-the-week supper.


HAM 'N CHEESE SUPPER BREAD

1 cup Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup chopped ham
1 tablespoon instant minced onion
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard (such as French's)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 1-qt. casserole.

Mix baking mix, ham, onion, egg, milk, oil, mustard and 2/3 cup of the cheese. Spread in casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheese and the sesame seeds on top.

Bake until top is golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Serve warm.

Serves 2

NOTE:  Wrap leftover bread in aluminum foil and refrigerate or freeze. Heat in foil wrapping in 400 degree oven until warm, about 10 minutes. (If frozen, 30-35 minutes.)

This cookbook is so old that microwave ovens had yet to hit the market, so I think we would reheat in the microwave now. But it's kind of fun to see how we used to do it.

3 comments:

  1. I used to make this recipe when I was a newlywed. We had it with pinto beans. Yum. So happy to find it here. I don't know where the cookbook went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to search for and find your recipe for Ham 'n Cheese Supper Bread. I had lost mine. It sure hits the spot, or actually several spots. The ham and the sesame seeds are just right together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also was given the Betty Crocker Cooking For Two cookbook as a wedding gift back in 1973. This was a favorite. Wanting to make it with leftover Christmas ham, I couldn’t find mine. Glad to find it here! I don’t use Bisquick anymore, but it’s easy to substitute. And that is funny about microwave ovens😉

    ReplyDelete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.