Monday, April 6, 2015

Happy Easter!


Another Easter has come and gone. 
We enjoyed some family time with the "big kids" 
who came home for the weekend.


They dyed Easter eggs.


They flew a kite.


We went to church together and came home for Easter dinner.
I told them that this was the smallest Easter dinner I have ever cooked. 
My cold/allegry just kept me from doing more.


But it was enough to fill a plate.
And to send them home with leftovers.

I probably should have posted the ham glaze recipe before Easter, but here it is now. Better late than never! It's the same one I used last year when I cooked Easter dinner for Mommy and her family out in the midwest. Baking a ham is about the easiest thing you can possibly do. Baking it at home is a much more economical way to do it. A grocery store spiral-sliced ham cost twice as much as the unsliced ham. And a spiral-sliced ham from the "ham store" costs 4 to 5 times as much. At least know this most basic way is a reasonable option for you.

I bought a fully-cooked semi-boneless half ham—just over 6 lbs. At Easter, they are easy to find. They were displayed at several places in my grocery store. We followed the directions on the label, baking it for 20 minutes per pound at 325 degrees. I scored the outside and covered it with foil for most of the baking time. Daddy-O added the glaze for the last 40-45 minutes and left the foil off to finish the baking.

This glaze is easy and it's delicious.

EASY BROWN SUGAR-MUSTARD GLAZE

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon pineapple juice

In a small bowl, mix all ingredients until well blended.
Brush glaze over ham during last 45 minutes of baking. 

Double the recipe for a larger ham. Can also use glaze on pork chops or pork roast.


And the midwest family? Little Sister told me last night that she found "a million eggs!" at the Easter egg hunt out there. It is fun to be four.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.