Friday, August 21, 2015

Almost Not Cooking


I told Daddy-O that I have lost all interest in cooking. He instantly fired back, "Well, you'd better get over it. I haven't lost interest in eating." And he is completely right.

I headed to some favorite blogs, ones with recipes I trust and that we usually like. The writer of Southern Plate is a southerner like us, and her recipes are easy and good. Many are ones I grew up with. A cousin called me once to ask if I had the lemon pie recipe that both our mothers made—and neither mother wrote down. I didn't have it, but soon after that conversation, the lemon pie recipe popped up on the Southern Plate blog. I remembered enough about how Mother made it to know that was the one.

So I was happy to find this sandwich recipe on her blog. A sandwich isn't exactly cooking, is it? That meets my needs. But a sandwich can make a good hearty supper, which met Daddy-O's need.

For once, I made a recipe exactly like it was written, except I cut it in half. And I used a little less butter. (Well, I guess I didn't follow it exactly, did I?) I'm only feeding two of us. I even found the Dale's marinade at the store. The verdict? Daddy-O said, "This is good." Took another bite, "This is REALLY good." I thought it was good, too. But for my taste it was a little salty. I used the larger amount in the recipe. So I might back off the marinade a bit another time. But rest assured, there will be another time.


'BAMA STEAK SANDWICH

1 lb. deli roast beef, sliced for sandwiches
1 to 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 stick butter (I used less)
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 to 4 tablespoons Dale's Sauce (or soy sauce or a little Worcestershire)
soft deli rolls

Cut roast beef into pieces. (I cut the stack of slices into squares.) Melt butter. Add 1-2 tablespoons sauce, according to taste. Add onions and peppers and saute until tender. Add roast beef and additional sauce. Continue cooking until roast beef is heated through. Remove from heat and sprinkle cheese over the top. Let sit until melted. (I put a lid on at this point to help it melt.) Serve on sandwich rolls.

Makes about 5 sandwiches


If you've never heard of Dale's Sauce (I hadn't) the ingredients on listed on the label say it contains mostly soy sauce with some corn syrup and onion, garlic, ginger and paprika, along some other ingredients. So the main flavor is the soy sauce. I don't think you need to worry if you can't find it. Use one of the substitutes listed—soy sauce or Worcestershire. You'll be fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.