Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Come Again Another Day


Mother Nature has teased us one more time. Earlier this week, just before dark we saw these low hanging clouds that held the promise of rain. But once again, it passed us by. We had a few drops but not enough to help our drought.

We watch the news and see that other parts of the country are having too much rain. Floods. Drought. Does anyone live where there is the right amount of rain?

Remember the rhyme, "Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day?" Well, it IS that "another day." We need rain.


The bottom fell out just as I was leaving a meeting at church last night. It was a novel feeling—getting wet as I ran to my car. Less than two blocks from the parking lot, though, the rain had nearly stopped. The road leading to the farm was dry for miles. Still no rain here at home. But at least I've seen some!

And to keep this from being a totally bleak post, let's talk food. Okra grows even in a drought! Here is an update on the roasted okra recipe.


I didn't change the cooking directions at all, but I decided that cutting it my usual way made it easier to stir a few times during the cooking time. The split pods had to be turn over one at a time. I've done it this way twice now and unless I want the split pods for a fancier presentation, I think this is how I'll do it from now on.

ROASTED OKRA
1 pound fresh okra
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I didn't measure, just poured a little)
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper (or *House Seasoning)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Discard any hard pods. Cut off tops and tips of okra. Slice the okra into good size pieces into a bowl. Pour oil over okra and toss to coat. (I used my hands to toss it, making sure the okra was evenly coated with oil.) Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Season with salt and pepper.

Roast for 10 minutes. Stir and roast 10 minutes. If needed, stir and roast 5 minutes more to get a good brown color.


*House Seasoning: 1 cup salt, 1/4  cup black pepper, 1/4 cup garlic powder. Mix together and store in airtight container.








2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so good. I was actually able to find a store that carries a bit of fresh okra. GN loves it and so do I. I will,have to try this one, or let her try it. I'm glad you got some rain. I hope you get some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have still had no rain here at the farm. It rained in town, about 15 miles from us. Maybe it will get here one of these days.

      Delete

Hi, y'all! I love that you've taken time to tell me something here. Makes me feel like we're neighbors.